Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Sailaway from Antigua

We had just gotten off the bus in St. Johns when we felt the first drops of rain. By the time we got to the ship, we were in a full blown rain shower, so we boarded the ship and immediately went to our cabin, soaking wet (but with lots of sand still firmly attached to our bodies. We had to peel our swimsuits off in the shower,and I had a bucket of sand stuck under mine from playing in the waves). After showers, we unpacked our gear and tried to position it to dry in our cabin. Our limited space became even tighter as we balanced my backpack, the collapsable cooler and the float against the cabin wall to dry. The clothesline was sagging under the weight of shorts, shirts and my swimsuit. Everything was soaked.
Lunch was pizza by the pool. It was the first time I'd had pizza on this cruise, but it was exactly what we wanted. And then, despite the fact that I wanted to walk back off the ship (the rain had stopped) to get a photo of the three ships lined up side by side at two docks, we instead lay down and tried to nap a bit. I didn't nap, but I did rest, and at 5pm we went up to Skywalkers for pre-dinner drinks and to watch sailaway.
First the Summit backed out and spun around, then the Serenade of the Seas, and finally we followed.