Thursday, December 22, 2011

Beatle Maniacs- round 5

We said, going into this holiday cruise, that with somewhere between 400 and 600 kids on this cruise (the reported number varies, but it's a LOT), we were going to just sit back and enjoy the spectacle, and not go to the shows, not try to do any activities, just listen to the live music throughout the ship each night.
So, completely contrary to plan, for the second night in a row, we arrived in the Princess Theater a full hour early to get two good seats for a show. Last night it was the production show, I Got the Music. Tonight it was the Beatle Maniacs. We couldn't help it. I think I might be a groupie. This show is well worth the wait in the theater after dinner. We bring our iPhones and play backgammon over Bluetooth, a fine way to pass the time together. Or look at our photos from the day. Or I read one of my ebooks. Either way, it's a restful hour.
Not that I needed a lot of rest today. I never even left the ship. I needed to get some work done, and St. Thomas is really the best place to do it. The ship is quiet, I can make unlimited phone calls, this is an island we visit on every cruise so I don't feel quite so deprived when I miss it, plus there were FIVE ships in port today. It was a good day to stay on the ship.
G did go exploring on his own. He figured out how to walk a bit further after getting off the ship to catch a local 'bus' for $1...the same kind of vehicle and the same trip that the taxis (open air vehicles holding about 20 people) charge at least $4 for. He discovered that we can get all the way around the island for $2 each, something we'll have to do on one of our upcoming visits. So he went exploring and I stayed back and accomplished quite a few things. Shortly after 1pm, I finished and went up on deck to enjoy the sun.
It was a good day.
Sailaway from St. Thomas is always beautiful, and this one was no exception. The Holland America ship Eurodam was docked right next to us, and watching it back out to leave just before us was a treat. We might be spending 10 nights next fall cruising her sister ship, the Noordam. They are both beautiful ships.
We were in Skywalkers for sailaway, using the free AT&T 3G Internet that we have only in Fort Lauderdale and on St. Thomas. We sure wish we had that everyday! We keep saying that this cruising life would be perfect if we had a DVR with 100 channel TV and high speed wifi.
As it is, it's pretty close to as perfect as it gets.