Thursday, December 29, 2011

Look what we found!





Today, while we were walking, and when we walked 10 days ago, we kept hearing stirring in the trees at the sides of the road. At first it was a bit disconcerting (remember we walked for 4 hours last time and didn't see another person), but eventually I convinced myself it was a bird or some small animal.

Finally, today, I could see crabs moving across the dead, dried leaves that packed the ground. Whew! That was a relief. Crabs are as innocuous an animal as I might have imagined in those jungle areas on either side of the road.

Later, when we we closer to the beach, I nearly stepped on this little guy. It was his misfortune go be walking (sideways) across the road at the same rare time someone was walking by, but we enjoyed the close up view of a crab (especially his eyes, which he could fold back against his head).