Monday, November 21, 2011

Sunrise, Day 15 (St. Thomas)

I awoke before sunrise (barely) and headed up to the jogging track to get my daily walk and dose of solitude as the sun rose. We were already sailing amongst the small islets surround the US Virgin Islands, and the ship was moving slowly. With steady seas and less wind, walking was a lot easier and more pleasurable this morning than yesterday.
G joined me while the ship was docking at Crown Bay, on the west side of Charlotte Amalie, the primary town on St. Thomas (maybe the only one...I can't think of another). We went to breakfast in the dining room and he struck out in his own to do banking (we have an offshore bank account!) and I gathered up gear and liquid refreshments of the alcoholic variety and walked off the ship. About 10 minutes walk is the Crown Bay marina, and I caught the 10:30am ferry for the 10 minute ride to Water Island,'just across the harbor from Crown Bay and within sight of the ship. G will take the noon ferry over to join me. This is always a favorite day for us, and we missed out last cruise due to work.