Sunday, November 20, 2011

Sunday at sea

The ship has really been rocking and rolling the entire day, but seems worse tonight. During cocktails in Skywalkers on Deck 18 at the very back of the ship, the lounge was shaking and shuddering. The movement of the sea was magnified many times at that level. The TV says we're having gale force winds, and we've been like this all day. Tonight is formal night, but I imagine many people are in their cabins, not quite up to the evening.
We are loving the adventure of it.
I spent the afternoon, after lunch, sprawled on a deck chair. I intended to go to the MUTS pool and watch football all afternoon, but when I arrived there just 5 minutes before the first game began, I should have known there would be no loungers available. Every lounger was holding either a person or a towel, a book, a single sandal- something to mark ownership by a person not present. The infamous chair hogs were out in force. When I finally spotted an empty chair, I set my towel on it but was immediately stopped by a nearby lounger occupant who informed me the chair was occupied. My response? "My God they're skinny". When told that the person had stepped away for lunch, I stated, "And just in the nick of time!". Yes, I was making a point, and many were amused by my show of force, but, in the end I decided that to stay in the vicinity of such enmity was not the way to spend the afternoon. I moved to an open chair at the back of the ship and spent the afternoon listening to a book. Much more fun.
I started dinner tonight with a delicious crab and caviar appetizer, followed by lobster and my usual plate of steamed vegetables.