Wednesday, November 14, 2012

St. Kitts (continued)

By the time the ship docked at 10am, it was sunny and very hot. We needed a slower day today, and not a beach day (I actually got a bit burned yesterday, which is rare for me), so we walked off the ship into Port Zante in search of the free wifi we knew was there. Once we checked the webcams at home, we spent just under two hours walking around Basseterre, the town on St. Kitts where the ship docks, and the shopping area around the pier. By 1pm or so, we were already hot, sweaty and tired, and headed back to the ship for lunch. Since the dining room is closed for lunch on port days, we opted instead for lunch in the International Cafe. We hadn't really eaten in the IC yet this cruise, although I did once get some food there to take up to the buffet. I'm happy to report that the same incredible Giunduja pudding from last year is still being served...it's now called simply chocolate pudding, but it tastes the same, like fudge in a bowl. G got that and the chocolate and vanilla mousse parfait and I had a spoonful of each. Both are decadent.

We walked back off the ship then, and G bought a hat ('cause the eleventy thousand he already has from the Caribbean are simply not enough) and I got some wine. We didn't have time to stock up on wine before we boarded on the 7th, and so I've been pretty abstemious this cruise. The Merlot I chose was really nice.

Finally, a pool held more allure than anything on land, so we returned to the ship for a final time and spent part of the afternoon in the Terrace Pool (me) and hot tub (G). We were in Skywalkers at 5pm and were greeted with the most beautiful display of sushi I'd ever seen. Luckily, I was able to get a photo before it was devoured.

After the sushi, we ate a light dinner and then went to the early performance of the production show "Boogie Shoes". Then I attended a repeat of the same learning session for the party line dances from this morning. Then we attended another Jazzio in the Adagio with Gordon and the Emerald Princess orchestra. They are attracting quite a following...the place was as packed as I've ever seen the Adagio. Gordon is a born entertainer, very personable, and it becomes more than just sitting and listening to live jazz music.

Finally, it was time for bed. It's now 11:10pm, and I've been up since 5:45am. I'll post these and hopefully be asleep by 11:30pm. I want to be up early to walk and watch our arrival into beautiful St. Thomas.

Photos 1and 2: the Port Zante shopping area near the pier in Basseterre, St. Kitts

Photo 3: sushi display in Skywalkers

Photo 4: the production show Boogie Shoes