Tuesday, November 6, 2012

No 0Dark30 wake up call this time


After my horrid experience with sleep (really, lack of sleep) the night before we flew out to Vancouver for our Alaska cruise, we decided that it would be foolish to book another early morning flight, this time to Fort Lauderdale.  Actually, G decided that.  I guess I wasn't as peaceable and loving on two hours of sleep as I thought I had been.  Besides, after the time change, it's going to be dark when we arrive at our hotel in Fort Lauderdale regardless of which flight we take.  Better to wake up naturally, wrap up things at the house in an easy and relaxed manner (ha!- Martha is laughing out loud about now), and have a nice meal at the airport before boarding our plane.  And so we are.


I had a final dental appointment yesterday and afterwards ran several errands, driving like a little old lady, scared to death I'd have a accident that would interfere with our departure.  The rest of the day was spent taking care of some business things, and doing another cleaning run through of the house. (Returning home to a surprisingly clean house last February definitely eased our transition to the real world). I then spent the evening at the boys' basketball practice, as I'll be missing every one of their games this winter :-(. Goodbyes were quick and unsentimental (the Saints were on Monday Night Football. 'Nuff said).


I was reminded last night of why we enjoy beginning our cruises so early in the winter: those long, dark evenings of Standard Time. Yuck. Yes, it gets dark early in the Caribbean too, but the days are significantly longer than at home and we have an entire ship to enjoy, so we don't feel "house bound".  Regardless of what the weather does (or doesn't do), it's a good time to leave (although our final sunset at home seemed to cry out "Don't leave!  Caribbean sunsets got nothin' on me!").



It will come as no surprise to those who know me best that this morning after we showered, I thoroughly cleaned the master bathroom and bedroom one last time (it's a hereditary illness, passed down on my mother's side).  With each step, I couldn't help thinking, "This is the last time I'll have to clean a bathroom/ dust/ vacuum/ wash bedding and towels for four months!!!" I could also have added, "This is the last time I'll go grocery shopping/ cook/ wash dishes" and even "paint/ caulk / mow / shovel" too, but, for me, the "no cleaning" part far outweighs the others.

The simple truth is that a cruise ship is the only place in my world where there is nothing I have to do.  Not. one. damn. thing.  Not that I actually do "nothing" on a cruise; it's more that I am free to do "nothing".  And "nothing" is a very nice thing to be free to do.  At least for a few months a year.

Anyway, one by one, we completed the items on our "last morning" list of to-dos.   The refrigerator (and nearly everything else) was unplugged, the final pack of Hebrew National 97% fat free hot dogs was donated to Martha (it will be a cold day in hell before I want another one of those), the hot water heater and water were shut off and car batteries disconnected. 

After one final look around our home, we climbed into Martha's waiting car.  Once again she was our chauffeur to the airport.  Once again we told her (most sincerely) how very much we appreciate her.  We triple-checked that we had our passports, our boarding passes and all seven pieces of luggage (including the two carry ons and my backpack that we were balancing on our laps).  I didn't look back as we drove away (my heart ached a little), but instead set my sights squarely on boarding the Emerald Princess less than 24 hours later.

I immediately felt much better.

Fasten your seatbelts...we're on our way!