Monday, November 12, 2012

Day 6: Barbados

Wow. What a day we had. When I tell you that it's 7:56pm and we're already in bed, I guess you can tell that it was a wonderful, and wonderfully busy day on one of our favorite islands, Barbados. I'll begin typing this post, but if I start to nod off, I'll have to post what I've completed and then finish tomorrow morning.

Barbados is the easternmost island we visit, so it was no surprise when I looked at the Princess Patter and it stated that sunrise would be at 5:57am. Help me. I set the alarm for 5:30am, and actually got up when it rang. Once again this morning, I was met with wet decks, and lots of dark clouds, but it wasn't actively raining while I walked. It was, however, as muggy as a steam room, and I was drenched by the time I walked two miles. The Emerald Princess was approaching Barbados when I began walking, and completed the process of backing into position while I walked and watched.

We were lucky; as the only big cruise ship in port (a small Seadream Yacht Club yacht was docked on the far pier), we got the prime dock location, on the closest pier to the terminal.

By the time I returned to the cabin, G was already up and getting dressed. The ship was cleared by the local authorities by 7am, and we went to the dining room shortly thereafter for a quick breakfast. The day didn't look promising, but we've learned not to be deterred...every morning has started the same way on this cruise, and only on Antigua did a long rain settle in.

We gathered up our beach gear (a bit easier because we knew we'd have beach loungers and an umbrella, and liquid refreshments) and walked off the ship, stopping for just a few minutes to use the free wifi in the terminal. We frequently can't check our home security cams using ship's wifi- there's just not enough bandwidth, so that's always a priority when we get faster wifi off the ship. We then started out for the 30-40 minute walk into Bridgetown and to our favorite beach bar/restaurant on Carlisle Bay, Lobster Alive.

Photo 1: sunrise over Bridgetown, Barbados

Photo 2: approaching the cruise ship and freight docks on Batbados

Photo 3: the ship's thrusters churn up the bottom silt as the ship backs into its berth

Photo 4: we've seen at least one rainbow every day so far, silver lining of all the rain showers