Sunday, February 10, 2013

Day 96: Barbados

What a beautiful, sunny day we had today on Barbados, but we had an "opposite" day, doing the opposite of what we normally do, which is walk to Carlisle Bay Beach (though we did stop by there...read on).

I had frustrated myself late last evening; after typing my blog posts for Antigua, the Chefs Table and St. Lucia, I couldn't get them all uploaded, and burned through too many Internet minutes trying. I should know better than that by now...if it's not going reasonably well, just stop and try again later. The culprit last night, I think, is that we were in the Atlantic Ocean making our way southeast to Barbados, and this ship was a bit bouncy. So, if it seemed like my blog posts from the last two days were tardy and piecemeal...they were!

We were up early (hard to sleep in when the Emerald Princess is making that 180 degree turn into its berth in Bridgetown, Barbados) and all had a quick breakfast in the buffet. I'm missing those delicious mixed berries pancakes (I knew they were dangerous knowledge!); we may have to return to the dining room for breakfast tomorrow morning. Using my Vonage app, I had phoned the taxi driver we intended to use for an island tour from Fort Lauderdale, so I was fairly confident he'd be waiting for us. Still, when we walked past the security gate, we were assured by other taxi drivers that Ali had been there but had left. Nice try, guys. I had kept walking and was looking right down the sidewalk at Ali when I'd been told that. In fact, that's the reason we didn't choose to go with one of the other drivers...when we had met Ali last cruise, we felt he was so unaggressive, and that's the kind of guy we wanted to spend the day with.

Ali had promised us an island tour for $30 per person...and we REALLY got an island tour. We left Bridgetown and started up the west coast of Barbados, stopping at a couple of beaches along the way. After passing through Speightstown, we entered the country and the scenery immediately turned more hilly and agricultural as we crossed the island from west to east. We saw large fields of sugar cane and other vegetables, and even a dairy farm on Cherry Tree Hill Road, which offers amazing views of the island's Scotland District and the Atlantic coastline.

We were excited to see a monkey crossing the road in front of us while we were driving through a banana plantation, which has prompted G to come up with a new saying: "I'm as happy as a monkey in a banana plantation!"

We continued our way south along the east coast, enjoying the views of the pounding surf of the Atlantic Ocean. In Bathsheba, we stopped to walk along the beach and marveled at the large rock formations. We next stopped at Andromeda Botanical Gardens near Bathsheba, a place I have wanted to visit for years. The entry fee was a bit steep (US$12.35 per person), but, honestly, it's the best collection of labeled tropical plants anywhere in the Caribbean, with exquisite grounds featuring gazebos, arched bridges and water features.

Still not done, driver Ali soldiered on, driving us further down the eastern coast until we finally ran out of island, and then making his way back up the western coast past Oistins fishing village (which was packed even through it wasn't their typical Friday night party), Rockley Beach, the beautiful boardwalk along the coast, and then stopping at our favorite Lobster Alive on Carlisle Bay Beach, where we were greeted by the guys who work there selling chairs and snorkel tours and introduced them to Martha and Betsy. It was a gorgeous day on the beach, but a busy one too, with four ships in port today (the Thomson Dream, the Norwegian Jewel and the little Seadream Yacht Club). I'm just as happy I was being driven around the entire island today.

I've typed this immediately upon returning to our cabin. I don't want to be caught again at 10:00pm at night two days behind in my blog posts. I've kept it going for almost 100 days. Must. Stay. Disciplined!

More later, after our evening activities.

Photos 1 and 2: Paines Bay Beach

Photo 3: the Morgan Lewis sugar mill

Photo 4: the Scotland District of northeastern Barbados

Photo 5: Cherry Tree Hill Road, which is lined with 300 year old Mahogany Tree