Saturday, February 23, 2013

Day 109: At Sea

Today at sea was not all that different for me than the past five port days, because, as I realized just today, I'd only been off the ship on Princess Cays and for the walk on Bonaire this. entire. cruise. That is a first for me, and not something I'm anxious to repeat. This really was the sickest I've ever been on a cruise- not fun!!

We went out to the Terrace Deck early this morning and claimed two loungers that we sat in until lunch. Breakfast was cereal and yogurt from the buffet, eaten poolside. By 10:00am, it was already so hot that I needed to cool off in the Terrace Pool every 30 minutes or so; G, of course, was using the hot tub on the back of Deck 17.

By 1:00pm, it was simply too hot (and the sun too intense) to spend any more time out there, so we came in, took two minute showers and went to lunch in the dining room. It was a good thing we did; macadamia nut ice cream was on the menu and G had four scoops for dessert (I had Key Lime frozen yogurt). Zumba still wasn't an option for me today, but we did walk a few laps on the Promenade Deck after lunch, and although it was largely in the shade, it was still hot. The blasts of A/C that we got while passing the automatic doors on the ship felt heavenly.

It was hard to imagine the winter weather crossing the country this weekend, but I really did try.

I still couldn't. ;-) Stay safe, everyone (especially you, Mom)!!

The rest of the afternoon was spent on personal maintenance (nails) and trying to finish up an e-book before it poofs off my iPhone on Monday (its due date). It's going to be close....

G dressed in his tux and went to the veterans get together in the Adagio Lounge at 4:30pm, and then picked me up to go to comedian Phil Tag's 5:30pm show in the Explorers Lounge. This was our first personal experience with this early show time, and today, on a sea day, the Explorers Lounge was full for it. Phil Tag is easily the best comedian we've seen l winter (yay!), though I'll be the first to admit that comedy is a very personal thing. I'm just really over "bossy wife-stupid husband" kind of humor, which so many comedians have as their mainstay. Phil Tag doesn't, and that's why I liked him.

We arrived in the Michelangelo Dining Room for dinner about 6:15pm (nice to see our table was still waiting for us). I was lobster night, but I also had a new (to me) appetizer of pears and blue cheese with pecans. There was escargot too, but I had to pass. That's still a little heavy for me.

Afterwards, we swung by the Piazza to watch jugglers Team Rootberry do their 10-minute "sideshow" (that's what G calls them). They are the juggling team that considerably changed our opinion of jugglers last winter.

Production show Disco: Blame it on the Boogie was also being performed in the Princess Theater three times tonight.

G went back to the Explorers Lounge to see Phil Tag's 8:00pm show, but I returned to the cabin. I'm feeling better, but want to take it easy on these sea days. We're hoping to have some fun in Fort Lauderdale on our last turnaround day.

And, finally, I am slightly livid over something I just heard tonight. I think I've mentioned that, for the past two cruises, we've had basically no entertainment shows on the final night of the cruise, just the Crew Talent Show at 7:15pm and 8:30pm. Now, the crew talent show is good fun, but by having it done at those times, it excludes crew members who simply can it get away from their duties. It's usually done at 10:15pm on one of the last two nights of a cruise.

Well, dear waiters Sutti, Surasit and Nicky have been working on their costumes to once again perform their traditional Thai dance for the show. Last year, they were THE hit of the show, and people were on their feet applauding before they were even finished. The costumes are now ready, and they were supposed to perform tomorrow night. But today they found out that, because Princess hasn't arranged enough entertainment to finish out the cruise, once again this cruise the crew talent show will be done at 7:15pm and 8:30pm. Sutti, Surasit and Nicky can't do that...that's dinner time! All that work on the costumes, and they are not at all hopeful they'll ever get to perform the dance...because Princess is going cheap on entertainment.

This makes me so mad!! And me fired up is a dangerous thing (just ask my local government).

I am going to write my local congressman- er, cruise director, to see if they can't perform the dance as one of the "sideshows" in the Piazza. It's too late for this cruise, but it could work for next cruise.

G has his juggling lessons from Team Rootberry to keep him busy. Now I have a mission too.

Can you tell I'm feeling better?

;-)

Photo 1: pear and blue cheese appetizer- yummy!

Photos 2-3: Team Rootberry performs in the Piazza