Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Day 106: Grenada

I had a rough night, but slept until nearly 9:00am this morning, and from then on, G and I were like two ships passing in the night, never connecting until the on board time of 1:30pm. After a quick breakfast in the buffet, I dropped by the Medical Center for another bottle of Robitussin (my new favorite drink? NOT!), and then made a quick run off the ship to purchase two handmade gifts that I had seen on an earlier cruise in one of the extensive terminal shops. Even the thought of free wifi couldn't entice me to go upstairs in the Esplanade Mall to brave what I knew would be hot, stuffy conditions. I can't imagine the temperature in that mall in August!

I spent a bit of time in the sun on the Terrace Deck, just to give Johnathon the time to do the morning clean up of the cabin, had some delicious chicken tortilla soup from the buffet for lunch, and then returned to the dark, quiet calm of our cabin.

Leaving Grenada at 2:00pm is required to get to Bonaire, a favorite island of mine, by noon tomorrow. I really hope I feel better by tomorrow, but I'm pretty sure I will. I'm much better tonight.

We took care of haircuts this afternoon, cleaning up a bit for the Captains Circle party tonight. Most travelled passengers for the past four cruises, and again this cruise are Steve and Peggy Kerridan, with nearly 1200 days on Princess, and they've asked us to join them for the party tonight. We really owe our winter lifestyle to Steve and Peggy; when G was still working, we took these 10-night cruises back to back for 20 nights every January, and that's when we met them. They come on for 50 days at a time during the winter, basically using the Emerald Princess as their winter home. Sounded like a fine idea to us!!

We went to dinner early, at 5:30pm, so as to be in Club Fusion at 7:15pm before the party started. Entertainment was provided by favorite band Sol Provider, and two Breeza Marinas later the party was over and G and I stayed for the Emerald Princess orchestra playing big band favorites for 45 minutes. We are truly old souls, and though we didn't dance too much ourselves, we enjoyed seeing all the other couples on the dance floor, especially a couple who have stayed on from last cruise. At 84 and 82 years old, they are on the dance floor for hours every night. We've had lunch with them; they walk 3 miles every day at home to keep up their endurance for their dance marathons.

I want to be them when I grow up!

At nearly 10:00pm, we're in our cabin, fuzzy waters on the night stand, watching a 35-year old Love Boat re-run. We're a long way from being them!

Photo 1: Steve and Peggy, most traveled passengers this cruise

Photo 2: Deputy cruise director Frenchie, kicking off the
party (she has the BEST shoes!)