Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Day 105: Dominica


I have not much to report about today, and I'll  be even shorter than that about it. It was really quite a pretty day today for Dominica; there were the periodic rain showers, of course, and the just as periodic rainbows (quite spectacular ones, actually). But overall the day left a mostly sunny impression, and Dominica when the sun shines is a truly beautiful island. We also had the great good fortune to be docked at the cruise ship pier in town, in Roseau, and not at the freight dock as we had been two cruises ago.

Still (and I know I've mentioned this before), I'm just over Dominica for this winter. There is simply not much for us to do on our own around the cruise ship dock. We had initially thought that we'd do Jack's Walk from the Botanical Gardens in Roseau up to the Morne Bruce overlook, but I felt challenged walking from our cabin on the back of the ship to the spa at the from to use the steam room, and so we nixed that idea. 

The day passed in a steady rotation of steam room visits, hot showers, prednisone, epinephrine and Robitussin as I continue to recover from bronchitis. Don't worry, Mom, I'm doing better all the time, but it's going to take a couple more days to get back to normal. 

We did go to dinner in the dining room, and then the Beatle Maniacs are back this cruise, and with three of our favorite performers:  Burak Ceylon, David Deveaux, Greg Weeks (someone new to us played Paul McCartney). We were thrilled to see Burak and David, who we've not seen for a month or more. Still the best entertainment of the cruise!

After that, it was popcorn and fuzzy water, cough syrup, blog and sleep. Hopefully tomorrow will be a more exciting day for us (and so for you too!). 

Photos 1 and 2:  one full rainbow off the back of the ship, so close I couldn't get it all in the frame, then the start of a double as one end dips low in the water

Photo 3:  beautiful Dominica as seen from the webcam on the front of the ship, and shown on Channel 40 in the cabin

Photos 4 and 5:  the Beatle Maniacs (I think I have that exact same photo of Greg Weeks in Photo 4 from last year!)