Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Evening- Princess Cays

It shouldn't surprise anyone that, after our busy day on the island, and after a wonderful dinner in the dining room, where we said goodbye to Kim and Jim who spent many nights this cruise at the table next to ours, I returned to the cabin intending to have an early night. G is at the 8:30pm Variety Showtime with Adam Bonk (he was that juggler we actually enjoyed several cruises ago. He's come back on the ship again) and the musician from a couple of nights ago, Delisco. We saw him in an elevator last night and I asked him if he was staying on for the next cruise, but he's not. I'm impressed: Princess seems to be recognizing that there are a lot of passengers (over 300 tomorrow) who stay on for back to back cruises, and we've had a little more variety in entertainment vs. what we had last year. We're still not pleased with the shortened shows or the fact that we seldom have a different show in the Explorers Lounge as an alternative, or the fact that they have three dance bands on board but no string quartet, BUT at least we don't have the exact same entertainment from one cruise to the next. It's been running about half the same and half different.

We are waiting until we see the weather in Fort Lauderdale tomorrow morning to finalize our plan for the day, but we're definitely NOT going to be spending three hours sitting in Club Fusion while they sanitize this ship. The water taxi is one option. Or taking a long walk down to and along the beach. Regardless, we'll need to run to Walgreens or Publix to pick up a few things, most notably more Wet Ones wipes and Dial Complete Foaming Hand Soap. And toothpaste (I was way, way off with my projected use on that, and I can't figure out why). And more mouthwash. Dental hygiene is obviously a fixation with me!

Sister Frances Xavier was old when I had her as a teacher in the 1960s, so I'm certain she's no longer with us, but I have to give her her due...when she said fractions would be an important part of our lives forever, she wasn't kidding. They're way more important than calculus and geometry and even most algebra. I've never once in my entire life needed to figure out when two trains leaving from different stations at different times, traveling towards each other at different speeds are going to meet, but I'm constantly fractioning in my head this winter. We're now 5/12 of the way through our cruise. If I brought two of something, I should still have 1 and 1/6 left; three of something- 1 3/4 left. Four of something- 2 and 1/3 left. Forget fictional story problems; this is reality math.

;-)

Photo 1: how few cars are registered on Eleuthera that they can have four digit license plates, all numbers no letters?