Sunday, December 2, 2012

Day 26: Grenada

It's 10:30am, and the ship is still cruising en route to St. George's, Grenada. We slept until almost 8am, then went to breakfast in the dining room. I'm not certain what this day will bring for us. We have another short day in Grenada, with arrival at noon and on board by 6:30pm. The weather, although sunny at the start of the day, has clouded over and it's not a particularly pretty day. We may simply go into the terminal to use the historically free, historically fairly fast wifi that exists there. We had talked about a walk up to Fort George, on a hill overlooking the harbor, but given my back and the cold I've developed, we may just return to the ship and enjoy a slower day.

I wanted to take just a moment to thank those people who have emailed me about my blog. I really enjoy hearing that people are cruising along with us, albeit vicariously. There's certainly enough fun to go around!

I was stopped in the hallway yesterday by room service steward Yulia (of the curly hair). She told me that she was using my blog to practice reading English. I was stunned...how did she know about it? Apparently someone who is reading along knows Yulia, saw that I mentioned her and sent her the link. The world gets smaller and smaller... I told her I hoped she wasn't upset that she and her curly hair were now on the Internet, but, thankfully, she wasn't at all. But using my blog to practice reading English? I am always humbled by and in awe of these crew members who go half way around the world to work. I wouldn't have the fortitude to do that!

So...more later, although I'm not certain how exciting it will be today. The best we can hope for is for the day to cool a bit. Only then might we consider climbing the hill to Fort George.

Photos: another reality of life at sea. Our shower curtain was replaced last cruise. The new one is short...way, way short. Instead of having an issue with water leaking onto the bathroom floor just when I bend over to shave my legs, now it's a constant stream all shower long. The floor would be flooded if we didn't take some pool/beach towels, line the outside of the shower basin and cover the floor. After three showers, as in this photo, the bathroom ends up trashed and the towels are soaked. I heard that the laundry washes (I think) 8000 towels every day. It's obvious that not everyone is keeping up with our usage, which is probably 5 towels daily for each of us, at least 4 of them solely for the floor. Twice a day, Johnathon comes in, works his magic, and voila, we're good to go until the next shower.