Monday, December 31, 2012

Day 55: St. Lucia (or so I'm told)

Ruh roh. Look at photo #1, wherever it appears (top? bottom? I never know for sure), and you might be able to tell where I spent part of my day. Simply put, I'm on two antibiotics trying to ward off a root canal in St. Thomas. I spent a sleepless night cursing my dentist back home, then figuring out how to avoid a root canal in St. Lucia or Barbados or St. Kitts, and instead get one in Fort Lauderdale on a Sunday. It turns out, the medical center on the ship can help with all that. But, better yet, they provided the drugs that might eliminate the need altogether. Keep your fingers crossed. Meanwhile, I spent the rest of the day willing the drugs to work and making up for lost sleep. Thankfully, both happened, and by tonight I was eating dinner, although avoiding the crunchy stuff.

So...nothing to say about St. Lucia, other than to say there were FOUR cruise ships here today- the Noordam, the Amsterdam and the Quest for Adventure. I've never before seen four ships in St. Lucia. Talk about crazy...maybe it was good I missed it.

The ship is still under Code Red. Dr. Smith told me today that the number of Noro cases are way down, but they're keeping the Code Red precautions as a preventative measure. The buffet food displays remain half empty. Enough already (and I'm sure the crew would concur)!!

Thankfully, by 5pm I was feeling like a different person, obviously on the mend. Good thing too, 'cause it was New Years Eve!

Photo 2: the Quest for Adventure sails at sunset