Sunday, November 4, 2012

When you spend the winter on a beach, you need to take some precautions

I have a new toy this year, one that is very exciting-at least to me- and that I hope I'm still happy with at the end of the winter...

It's new, completely waterproof case for my iPhone. A Waterproof. iPhone. Case.  Wow!!! Since I bought it in September, I have been getting my thrills floating it in the bathroom sink overnight, reading books on my iPhone while taking bubble baths and singing along to songs in the shower. I even let the kids take underwater videos at the pool. This thing really works!

Do you hear my squeals of delight?

Keeping our iPhones dry and safe is always a major concern for us. We're hard on our phones; we use them for so many things on a cruise, but especially as our cameras and iPods when we're off the ship. It was a bit bothersome last year to constantly take my iPhone out of its waterproof bag to take a photo on a beach, then replace it right away. In doing so, the phone got dropped in the sand too many times- not the best thing for the charging and earphone ports. Now I am good to go

Since the case is waterproof only to 6 feet, I even purchased a bright orange life jacket (really, that's what it's called) that I can put it in when I'm actually using it on the water.  If I drop my phone, it will spring back to the surface just waiting to be saved.  The life jacket also has two interchangeable lanyards, wrist and neck.  I'm telling you, they've thought of everything, and it will be perfect not only this winter but also for kayaking next summer at home.

I'll admit that G just rolled his eyes when I brought the case home, said he'd never trust it and dismissed it as an "iPhone case starter kit" when I bought the separate holster, life jacket and waterproof ear buds, but when I set my mind to something...

We'll see who has the last laugh.

I picture myself on my little inflatable Swimways float, bobbing in the waves with my dry iPhone in its Lifeproof case and its Lifeproof case life jacket and its waterproof ear buds, grooving to some Caribbean tunes or taking underwater video while I snorkel (I want you to see how beautiful is it down there!). G pictures tears and frustration when the case fails me one day (which I won't be able to tell you about, because, well, my phone will be soggy toast, but the sudden cessation of my blog posts would be a reliable indicator of something gone horribly awry).

Stay tuned...

My iPhone in its life jacket

My warped sense of humor on display:
I changed my wallpaper to be water droplets




My iPhone takes a bath (thanks to G for use of his to shoot video)



My iPhone's view