Monday, November 5, 2012

Disclaimer (aka: my list of excuses)

Last year, only friends and family knew about this blog until after I returned home, so I really didn't worry overly much about my spelling, grammar, quality of my photos, etc. I was simply staying in touch, and blogging was a step up from sending multiple emails. This year, people who don't know me might possibly be following along (60,000 page views and counting...). This worries me a bit, and so I have to ask for your understanding:

1.) Please remember that I'll be typing every word of this blog on my iPhone, with its tiny keyboard, and generally late at night to boot. I have my phone set to Autocorrect, and what you're reading is a lot clearer than my poor typing skills alone would allow, but the Autocorrect sometimes comes up with some interesting corrections that are totally unrelated to what I meant to say. (My favorite autocorrect: urinary for itinerary, as in "This is my favorite cruise urinary"). If I don't catch these before I send my email, you may wonder if I've suddenly taken leave of my senses. While that may be true, it's probably not the reason for the ill-fitting words.

2.) The Ursuline Sisters who educated me for 12 years are not responsible for any bad grammar, bad spelling, bad syntax or bad (swear) words. They did their best, and they're the best at what they do, but, well...it's been a long time since high school.

3.) I'm taking every photo with the simple, point and shoot camera on my iPhone 4. This is not fine photography; it's frequent photography; especially now, with my waterproof case, my phone will be with me all the time. A more expensive camera would not be. And my simple photos are uploaded at only medium resolution (since I'm usually using slow ship's WiFi). So, what I'm saying is that while you will hopefully be able to make out what's in the photos (most of the time), they possibly won't be much better than that.

4.) I don't see what a post will look like before I send it. I see an email. (Last year I didn't see my blog until I returned home!) Regardless of where I paste the photos in the email, they seem to have free will in determining where they'd like to appear in the blog post. While I can add photo captions from my laptop, I can't from my iPhone, so the best I can do is refer to photo 1, photo 2, etc. Last year I was limited (by WiFi speed) to about two photos per post, which is why there were so many posts. I've recently heard rumors that Apple devices with iOS 6 aren't able to connect at all to WiFi on the Emerald. Hopefully (please God!) they'll get that fixed before we board. All I can say is: stay tuned to see when/if/how this works out.

This post, being written on my iPhone

This is a really basic blog, and I know it. But I still marvel at the fact that it can be done at all, totally on a phone from a ship in the middle of the ocean.