Friday, November 9, 2012

Day 3: At Sea

By the time we arrived back at our cabin last night after watching the first half of the game, our Patter had been delivered. I checked: sunrise would be at 6:43am today. I set the alarm for 6am and fell into a fitful sleep. I woke with that all-too-familiar lower back pain. Ruh-roh. Am I starting down that path so early this winter?

It was still dark when I climbed up to Deck 19 on the jogging track, but the sky was taking on a lighter hue. The outside decks were puddled with rain, although none was falling at that moment. However, I wasn't up there for long before I saw the first bit of lightning off to the south. Having been caught on the top of 14,000 ft. mountains in lightning storms where the rocks actually hummed around me, I have an over zealous appreciation of lightning. I was sensitive to the fact that I was on the highest level of a big steel ship...the only metal thing around for (possibly) a hundred miles. I thought I'd be okay...it looked like the storm was heading away from us. I have to admit I could feel my scalp tingle but only a couple of times and then it passed. It was probably a combination of the lightning and my earphones.

Sunrise was noticeable only from a "sky getting lighter" perspective. It was way too cloudy to see a big ball of orange break through the horizon. Still, I love getting up and walking while the sun rises. Once again this year, it's just me and one crew member cleaning the deck that are up there. It's as alone as I can feel anywhere on this ship outside of my own cabin. And I need some alone time, spending four months with almost 4500 other people (passengers and crew).

How long will I be able to get up for the sunrises? If last year is any indication, until G has me walking 6-10 miles in port every day. So I'm enjoying it while I can.

I was wondering, while I walked, about the distance from Fort Lauderdale to our first stop of Antigua. The ship can cruise about 21-22 knots per hour, but we had seemed to be going much slower than that since we left Fort Lauderdale. I stopped outside the Horizon Court buffet after my walk to check out the navigational map I knew was posted there. It says we're cruising over 1100 miles at 19 knots, which is faster than I would have thought. It's been very smooth almost since we left Fort Lauderdale.

G joined me for a wonderful breakfast in the dining room. Our waiter, Roldopho, told us that they were on a 7am-9am breakfast schedule because in Europe, where the ship had been until it returned to Canada in late September, people race off the ship early for a full day of sightseeing. It's possible it might be changed now that the ship is in the Caribbean. We'll have to watch the Patter.

I had a wonderful breakfast, and am wasting no time in getting my fruits and veggies- 8 to 10 of them daily. (I'm sure I was vitamin deficient by the time we boarded the ship.) My veggie omelet was served with steamed spinach, mushrooms and a grilled tomato. Life is good!

We had noticed that the Future Cruise Consultant on board was Nicki Beare, who we've known pretty much since she started as an assistant cruise director 6 years ago. She was on last winter too, and so we had really gotten to know her even better. We made a point this morning of seeking her out...and I'm glad we did! She was actually supposed to go home a couple of cruises ago, but her contract has been extended just until sometime this cruise. I am so glad we didn't wait to see her...she's leaving in St. Kitts. She is off on another grand adventure: two months of backpacking in South America (she had backpacked through India last year). Oh, to be young again!!

After that reunion, I headed to Zumba and G went to a French class...to see how much he remembered since high school. I had enough trouble with the French accent having grown up in the Midwest; I can't imagine learning French with a deep southern accent!

Zumba, led by Ryan, was a fun, fast-paced 45 minute workout that left us all sweaty. But what a great time! Everyone just did it according to their own ability. While I was trying to memorize the steps, it suddenly occurred to me: we're on for a long time. Maybe, just possibly, I might start to look like I know what I'm doing. By February. Or March. I think that's a fine reason to stay on board.

I returned to our cabin to find 1.) a note from G indicating he was in the hot tub, and 2.) a great big new surprise, which deserves a starring role in its own blog post.