Friday, November 9, 2012

The new mattress

Late last January, I started having bad lower back pain. I can't say that it was caused by my mattress last year on the Emerald, but I can promise you that it didn't help. Princess mattresses have historically been about the weakest part of their cruise experience. This is not new news to anyone who's been on Princess.

So, I'm not pointing fingers, but by the last couple of cruises last year I was in a world of hurt. I would stand up and not know if I could take even one step. Life was definitely NOT good.

G, sensing a long term issue that might interfere with future cruising plans, moved into attack and conquer mode, pressuring me into seeking every kind of help available to vanquish this threat. And so, for most of the year, I have been seeing physical therapists, a massage therapist and a chiropractor, several appointments each week. It wasn't until just a few weeks before we left that I started having a few pain-free days each week.

When I tell you that I walked two miles in the morning, that's a BIG deal. Much more impressive than me walking 8 miles last winter. I've come a long way.

About a month before we left for this cruise, I sent a fax to Princess Special Services explaining that we were going to be on the Emerald for a long time and the only thing I really needed was to have a firm, very firm mattress on one of the two beds in our cabin.

Which is why I was a bit peeved when we opened the door the first day and saw what I suspected was an old, broken down mattress and which I knew to be too soft. Johnathon, our cabin steward, trying to please, brought a piece of plywood to firm it up, and I thought I was good to go...until yesterday morning when I awoke in pain. By today it was even worse.

Desperate times call for desperate measures. I am not at all a demanding person, but G will truthfully tell you that, the more pain I am in, the grumpier I get. Therefore, as soon as I saw poor Johnathon this morning I was adamant...a new mattress, please, or this would be my only Emerald cruise this winter.

Guess who is sleeping on a brand new, right out of the package, firm but cushiony on top mattress?

Guess who's not going home any time soon?

Life IS good!