Wednesday, November 7, 2012

We're almost there!

The hardest parts of our trip to Fort Lauderdale: the flight, the shuttle to the hotel and pushing/ pulling/ kicking our 200+ pounds of luggage into the tiny elevator and then to the very end room off a long, long carpeted hallway are behind us, and went off without a hitch. By midnight, we arrived at the La Quinta near the Fort Lauderdale airport and only 15 minutes from Port Everglades, tired but thrilled to be so close to our winter home.

Checking in for our flight, Southwest placed brightly colored tags on all our suitcases. I was afraid to ask, but it was clear that they were being highlighted as being HEAVY.  As an added insult, each bag's weight was written in big numbers on the tags;  47, 48, 48, 47 pounds. It felt akin to being publicly weighed ourselves.  I suppose some might mock our inability to pack lightly, but I've decided to instead be proud that we pretty much maximized our luggage allowance.


We had four free drink coupons expiring before we fly again, so, of course, we had to use all of them.   My Chardonnays and cheese crackers were a prelude to what lies ahead: pre-dinner drinks and sunset views from Skywalkers.

G, as predicted, slept (such a skill). I, as predicted, watched the first two episodes, Season 1 of Downton Abbey. And drank lots of wine and ate cheese crackers, which, relatively speaking, was fine dining in my book.

Arriving on Southwest at the Fort Lauderdale airport is almost as familiar to us as arriving at our home airport. Our hotel shuttle arrived while I was still on the phone calling the hotel, so you might say we had less than no wait for it. But I was so tired that I actually drifted off on the bus, just long enough to drop the water bottle I was holding in my hand. It proceeded to roll down the entire length of the bus, in the process waking up anyone else who might have also have been napping.

The La Quinta is in the process of remodeling, and our room has already been completed. It's quite nice, and it's all so new that I get the impression we might be the first ones sleeping in it. Even with only 2 ships in port tomorrow, the hotel is at 100% occupancy.

Just one more sleep! At 12:30am, I'm nearly there already.