Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Day 15: St. Lucia

Well, our weather just keeps getting better and better. Of course it's warm/hot, but it's not really muggy and the breeze is dry.

We were awakened today to the sound of the ship's thrusters backing us into position at Pointe Seraphine, the cruise ship dock on St. Lucia. From the ship's webcam (the front of the ship channel), we could see that it was already sunny and bright before 8am. G grabbed a two-way radio and headed out; I grabbed a two minute shower intending to be close behind him.

I thought.

While I was pulling on my t-shirt, I heard a cascade of something dropping to the carpeted floor of the cabin. I knew without looking that the beaded bracelet G had bought for me years ago in Hawaii had broken. Actually, it's been restrung at least once before after breaking; it's just that this bracelet and the matching anklet and necklace have such sentimental value. I generally put the bracelet and anklet on on Day 1 of our winter, and except for formal nights, there they stay. At least until a technical glitch is encountered.

Here I was, in the dimly lit cabin, without my reading glasses, feeling around for cheap black plastic beads and one sterling silver one on the dark patterned carpeting. Boy, those puppies sure did travel. I found them strewn from one side of the cabin to the other, and I'm betting we'll find a few more when we're walking around the cabin barefoot tonight.

When I joined G for breakfast, I told him I had a mission for today: replace the bracelet and try to find a matching anklet. Luckily, this is the Caribbean, and cheap jewelry is hanging from the trees (it seems), so I knew I would have lots to choose from.

After breakfast, we walked of the ship to say Hi! to two people we know who work at Pointe Seraphine and to use some free wifi. The day was already getting hot, and we were intending to walk over to Vigie Beach, but we kept finding other things to hold our interest: watching the boat excursions leave, strolling through the shopping area, placing free phone calls using our new Vonage apps, paying bills. We returned to the ship briefly to get some cash (and eat a snack at the International Cafe) and then walked back off to the shopping area. I had found exactly what I was looking for...for $4 each I bought two colorful hematite and beaded strands that are magnetic and can be worn as a bracelet, anklet, or a necklace of varying lengths.

I'm thrilled with this new purchase, and if it serves me well just this winter, it will be a good purchase.

Finally, we walked back on the ship, this time to stay. We ate a leisurely lunch in the buffet and then G had a date with a hot tub and I donned my Tilley hat and went up to Deck 19 to walk and listen to an audiobook. I love walking on the ship while it's docked in port; there is so much so look at in every direction. And the views while docked in Castries are particularly nice.

Just before dressing for dinner, G trimmed my hair a bit- it grows so fast on a cruise! Amazingly, it hasn't faded all that much from its pre-cruise color job. This color has staying power, I guess. For better or for worse...

Photos 1 and 2: the new purchases