Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Day 22: At. Sea

Today was about as perfect a sea day as I could imagine. I've mentioned before that sea days aren't necessarily our favorites. We enjoy more exploring and enjoying the islands we visit. But sea days as perfect as this one might have us changing our minds...

Somehow, G slipped out this morning without waking me- no small feat. It wasn't until he came back to the cabin that I heard the familiar sound of the key card in the door. I had slept until almost 8am! I have been having a couple of days with more back pain, so I took a muscle relaxant last night and slept like a log.

I quickly dressed in workout clothes and joined G for breakfast in the dining room. Zumba with Ryan was scheduled for 10am, and that class lasted for an hour (yay!). As is typical, the class was packed and overflowing the dance floor in Club Fusion, and we were moving tables and chairs to make more room in the carpeted areas. Ryan said Zumba would be offered five times this cruise. Departing Bonaire early and arriving in Grenada late (due to their distance from each other) basically opens up two half sea days for more shipboard activities.

After Zumba, I went to the fitness center to lift weights and then finally made it back to the cabin a little after noon to get cleaned up for lunch in the dining room.

Meanwhile, G had been doing his thing...free bingo, and a hot tub. After lunch together we again parted company, him to a gaming lesson (craps, I think), me to line dancing. By then it was 2:30pm and time for a pool and some sun. I was surprised when I went out on the Terrace Deck to find a few open loungers, and spent 90 minutes enjoying one of them and some pool time listening to a book.

BTW- as you can tell from my continued posting, the waterproof iPhone case is still doing its job!

We had time for just a short stop in Skywalkers. I had one of the happy hour drinks, a Singapore Sling, because the drink tonight was one of those "masculine" drinks...Chairman of the Board or something like that. Yuck. The Singapore Sling was good, but needed more gin. I'm finding that all of the reduced price drinks are pretty light on the alcohol.

Dinner tonight was the Caribbean menu, my favorite, because it means seafood stew (ciappino) and key lime pie for me. G had a fruit starter, the cold soup and jerk chicken, which he loved.

We had a bit of energy tonight, and so made it to a show (shock!). We saw Brent Webb, a mentalist. What's a mentalist, you ask? It's like a mental magician. There was lots of "pointing to a phone number in a phone book and he guessed it" type stuff. He was good, but the funniest part was that all the audience members he got up on stage to help him needed reading glasses, and so they were passing the glasses from one person to the next for his part. Now, THAT was amusing (and familiar!).

It's 9pm and we're back in the cabin. G is already sleep, and I'm watching a 35 year old Love Boat rerun on TV. You might recall that Princess was the cruise line featured on that show, and though the on board bands no longer play the theme song at sailaway, it's still hard to escape the connection altogether.

Since there was not much to tell today, I'll include a couple of updates...

My shorts? Still missing. Of course. I'm certain they'll never be seen again.

My back? It's doing well overall with just occasional set backs. The new mattress definitely helps, and we do the stretches the chiropractor taught us everyday, although we have such truly limited floor space in our cabin, I almost have to lie on the floor with my head under the bed while G helps me stretch.

The Steward Nazi? Still has us toeing the line. It's kind of funny...the two other stewards between our cabin and the mid-ship elevators are named Dario and Nicky, and we don't pass by them without exchanging a pleasantry and greeting them by name. Our own steward? If we say hi, he'll say hi back but that's about as social as it gets. We are definitely low maintenance passengers, mostly because we don't generally eat in the cabin (no room service, no snacking...usually). But a couple of evenings ago, G brought a bag of popcorn being served by the big screen back to the cabin...and spilled half of it on the carpet. We both froze, and then dived to the floor, picking up every piece on our hands and knees. I told G that he'd better sneak Johnathon's vacuum cleaner and sweep up any remaining salt crystals before our cabin was cleaned the next morning. Honestly, Johnathon has been able to accomplish in three weeks what I haven't managed to do in 30 years: G is now always putting his clothes and shoes away where they belong and wipes up the bathroom after himself religiously. Hallelujah, it's a miracle!

Photo 1: Back ups DON'T happen when you're on a cruise ship. Plugged in and connected to wifi? It just ain't happening anytime soon.

Photo 2: a Singapore Sling at sunset. Pretty darn perfect.

Photos 3 and 4: ciappino and key lime pie- my favorites!

Photo 5: almost full moon as seen while strolling the promenade deck after the show.