Thursday, November 8, 2012

Day 2: At Sea- Continued

We met up for lunch in the DaVinci dining room. It was so nice to see more familiar faces, including dear waiter Francis who had brought me a blueberry muffin last year for breakfast on my birthday, complete with a candle and a singing of Happy Birthday. When I mentioned that to him, he couldn't believe I remembered it. Hey, when someone is that nice to me, I remember!

Lunch (for me) was a large salad, a double order of mussels in ginger broth and mixed berries for dessert. I didn't actually order the double sized serving of mussels, but when our waiter saw that I was getting an appetizer as my entree, he took care of that little detail for me. :-)

We were in an elevator full of people with the door about to close when we spotted waiter Gergely who often served us breakfast last year. That was the end of that elevator ride...we had to step out for a hug.

Do you see why we love this lifestyle and these people who make it so wonderful? I know of no other vacation that offers experiences and lasting friendships like cruising.

At 2pm we attended the Cruise Critic meet and greet in Skywalkers, and spent about an hour putting faces to the names we've seen online. Then, since it had been over 5 hours since we were in a hot tub, we put our still damp swimsuits back on and soaked awhile. Eventually I made my way down to the Terrace Pool for the first test of my waterproof iPhone case on this cruise. I tucked the phone under the front strap of my swimsuit, plugged in my waterproof headphones and....IT WORKED! (I was pretty sure it would, but it's a bit scarier trying it on a cruise without an AT&T store down the street in case of failure.) Yes, my joy is complete. I can swim or soak, all the while listening to my books and music.

Finally, the sun hid behind some clouds for the rest of the day. We showered and went to Skywalkers for pre-dinner drinks and hors doerves, and since there was no sunset due to the clouds that had just moved in, we went to dinner as soon as the Michelangelo dining room opened at 5:30pm. The menu tonight was the Caribbean, which many people aren't fond of, but it is my favorite, with ciappino (Italian seafood stew, with mussels, squid, fish, shrimp and scallops-yum!) and key lime pie (even yummier).

By 7:15pm I was changed into shorts and a t-shirt and up by the Movies Under the Stars (MUTS) pool, watching Mamma Mia on the big screen. I am never one to turn down an opportunity to see Pierce Brosnan, Colin Firth and Stellan Skarsgard bare chested; I've simply brought earplugs for the truly dreadful parts. ;-). (The entertainment option in the Princess Theater tonight is a hypnotist...and I don't do hypnotists, ventriloquists and most jugglers.)

So far buffet stewards have brought around popcorn, warm chocolate chip cookies and milk, and slices of pizza. Not that I'm having any, since I finished dinner only a few minutes ago, but it's the thought that counts.

I could get used to this!

Next up: Thursday Night Football at 9:20pm. I think G might return for that (Mamma Mia chased him away and he's a wandering around the ship somewhere). Football on the big screen on a warm Caribbean night...it feels like a cruise to me!