Thursday, January 23, 2020

Day 121: At sea

Less wind, still warm and mostly sunny...today was as good as it gets. I also feel like we have finally started to feel at home here on the Majestic Princess. Actually, I should qualify that. I am starting to feel at home here on the Majestic Princess. G could probably have said the same at least a week ago. There are two reasons for that: First, me and transitions. They’re tough, doncha know? Then there’s the fact that G is up early nearly every morning and off exploring the ship while it’s just him and the cleaning crew out and about. I’m used to waking up at 4am and he’s not there. He walks at least two miles before I set my first foot on the floor. 

And never, ever, ever stops analyzing what he sees. Today he shared with me his thoughts on the backup at the two hand washing sinks on each side at the midship entrance to the World Fresh Marketplace. It’s a real issue, especially the first few days of each cruise. 30 people will be lined up out to the pool area waiting to wash hands. I get around it by entering the buffet from the back, where there are far fewer people and three sinks on each side. G has learned that there are two bathrooms back to back, each with four sinks, just feet away from the midship hand washing stations, men’s on one side of the ship and women’s on the other. There is no reason for anyone to have to wait to wash their hands. 

He’s absolutely right. Of course, my eyes weren’t even open yet when he was back in the cabin sharing that information with me. Oh, and also the fact that it’s possible to walk from midship to the aft elevator lobby outside on the Promenade Deck. That’s another good thing to know, but not necessarily at 6:15am. Welcome to my world. 

Today we did something a little different. We went to the French restaurant called Bistro Sur La Mer for coffee. A beautiful coffee bar there is open each morning, and the same pastries that are available in the World Fresh Marketplace and the International Cafe are served there, too. And there are walls of windows overlooking a seating area in the bump out of the Promenade Deck, and doors to that area, too. It’s a most peaceful place to start the day. 


Bistro Sur La Mer seating area overlooking the Promenade Deck


Bistro Sur La Mer coffee bar


Available pastries

We took our coffee outside and sat in the wicker chairs on the Promenade Deck enjoying the sea and the sun. At 9:30am we parted ways, with me returning to Princess Live for another part of the Captain Cook documentary. I had no idea that he had fought the French in Canada when he was in the British Navy, and explored the Northwest Passage. I’ve always associated him only with the South Pacific. 

G and I eventually met up on the Open Deck Behind the World Fresh Marketplace (now that I’ve set up that shortcut, that’s become my favorite place on the entire ship) where we had brunch.  Two meals today were going to be plenty. Plus, we wanted to get to the Princess Theater in time to get good seats for today’s matinee performance of production show Fantastic Journey. I’m still peeved that we skipped it last night, choosing instead to go to the comedian. He is doing a second, new show tonight. I hope he stumbles upon some new material today, but we won’t take a chance. 

The Concerto Dining Room lunch menu:


Day 3 lunch menu, page 1


Day 3 lunch menu, page 2

Fantastic Journey. I can’t wait to return home just to Google this show to see what other people have said about it. Because I think it’s one of the most amazing shows I’ve ever seen on a ship. Royal Caribbean’s Allure of the Seas had the other one. Blue Planet, or something like that. The entertainment on this ship- certain “comedians” excepted, has been...well, fantastic. 










Those lights are drones flying around the singer





At 2pm I returned to the cabin for the first time in six hours. G had reported to our cabin steward Eldrich that our shower was draining slowly, and I had also mentioned that our sink stopper hadn’t worked since we boarded. I’ve been putting a washcloth in the sink to catch any errant hard contacts, but knew that the same plumber could fix both things in one visit. That stopper was the first thing I checked when I got back to the cabin. All fixed, and I didn’t have to even crawl under the sink to do it myself. Life is really good. 

I needed some downtime then, and watched Zion Williamson’s NBA debut on ESPN. I’m dying here to know what happened as a result of the Kansas - Kansas State kerfuffle yesterday, but this internet... The inability to get news using Majestic Princess WiFi is what had me turning on ESPN to begin with. 

Too soon it was time to get cleaned up for formal night #991 of the season, go to the Elite Lounge in the Vista-less Lounge and then to dinner. Tonight it was salmon and spice roasted veggies. 


Day 3 dinner menu, page 1


Day 3 dinner menu, page 2


Day 3 dessert menu

G swung by the Captain’s Welcome Aboard Champagne Waterfall for a couple of glasses of bubbly, but I went directly to the Princess Theater to get the “good” seats where we could see pianist/ singer Bradley McCaw’s hands, front row slightly stage right. I remembered him from two years ago on the Golden Princess. His was a good show, but the microphone on the piano wasn’t turned up loud enough and was completely drowned out by the orchestra. It’s funny. I don’t fully appreciate all the things the technical guys associated with the shows do behind the scenes until something doesn’t work right and then it’s noticeable. Theirs is kind of a thankless job, which I guess is why most entertainers do take a moment during their show to thank them. 

G had made it to a hot tub this afternoon, but I hadn’t.  I decided to remedy that, and after the show we changed into swimsuits (him in his AU $3 special) and enjoyed a hot tub under the stars while watching Downton Abbey on MUTS. And I ended the day as I started it, thinking about what a great ship this is for a warm weather cruise. 


Day 4 Princess Patter, page 1


Day 4 Princess Patter, page 2


Day 4 Princess Patter, page 3


Day 4 Princess Patter, page 4