Monday, January 20, 2020

Day 118: At sea

If you’re a long time Yellow Fish Cruises blog reader, you can probably guess how we spent our day. If you’re not an NFL fan, just skip over this post. ‘Cause it was AFAD (All Football, All Day), with just a break for dinner.

9:28am. That’s what time it was when I was waking anyone still asleep at the forward end of Lido Deck with my screams. That’s when Patrick Mahomes ran for a TD just before halftime in the AFC Championship game. I’ve said it many times: Silent spectatorship, regardless of the sport, has never been my forte. It’s in the genes. At least I don’t yell at the coaches, pointing out their flawed play strategy (Mom). Not too often. ;-)

10:28am. I was yelling again, this time after another Tannehill sack, and by 10:38am, when Mahomes ran it in for another touchdown, I’m sure no one was still sleeping anywhere on the ship. 

Last night, I had placed a room service order for coffee for both of us and an egg McMuffin to be delivered around 7am, and supplemented that with a pastry run through the World Fresh Marketplace just before the first kickoff. We stayed in the cabin through that beautiful Chiefs win right into the NFC Championship game. I really didn’t care about the outcome of that game; I was just hoping for more good football. Ok, maybe not. It was kinda painful to watch. 

But it was still our best (and one of our only) football days of the season. I guess I had hoped, with over 1000 Americans currently on board, that the games might have been shown on MUTS or at least in one of the lounges, but we got bupkus. That’s okay; we made our own fun. Hours of football with my best bud is one of my favorite things in life. But it did bring back memories of the past two years when we watched these games with one eye on the beautiful Pacific Ocean in Hawaii.

Also entertaining: All the commercials on ESPN2 for “Super Bowl Monday. Are you ready, Australia?” That’s right up there with “the weather gets warmer as you go north” for just not sounding quite right. ;-)

Not that we were there, but sea day lunch was again served in the Concerto Dining Room:


Day 13 lunch menu, page 1


Day 13 lunch menu, page 2

We booked this current cruise under a promotion where we received a free dinner in a specialty restaurant. It took a lot of re-scheduling (per my husband, it must be on a sea day, but not on Most Traveled Guest luncheon day and not on Captains Circle party night). Tonight was the night, and the restaurant, of course, was the Crown Grill. I might have enjoyed the French restaurant on board, but I understand that G is feeling fairly beef-deprived. And since he never once today told me I was getting a little carried away with my exuberance during the games, he deserved a Crown Grill veal chop. Besides, I would be having seafood regardless of where we ate.

Not that we were there, but:


Day 13 dinner menu, page 1


Day 13 dinner menu, page 2


Day 13 dessert menu

On our way to dinner, we came upon the 5pm renewal of vows (haha. That was just autocorrected to reversal of vows) in the Piazza. Cruise Director Andrew suggested it as a way for couples to show their continued commitment to each other. Hey, G and I survived the aestas horribilus followed by nearly four months in an inside cabin with one bathroom. If that doesn’t demonstrate commitment, I don’t know what does. But G grabbed my hand and pulled me into the center of the Piazza as he told me we were stuck together forever. Yeah, yeah, I figured that out a few years ago. Who else would want us? ;-)

Dinner at the Crown Grill was the best one we’ve enjoyed this season. I had the salad and the orange roughy; G had the veal chop. There was no grazing in the World Fresh Marketplace before bedtime tonight. We. are. stuffed. 

The show tonight was the finals of The Voice of the Ocean, but we missed it when we lingered over dinner. No matter. We’re watching a replay of the AFC Championship game in the cabin. Apparently, six hours of football and four hours of commentary in one day are simply not enough. Forget “in sickness and in health, for richer and poorer”. True love means never having to say, “I just wish you’d enjoy watching football with me”. 

Life is good. :-)


Day 13 Princess Patter, page 1


Day 13 Princess Patter, page 2


Day 13 Princess Patter, page 3


Day 13 Princess Patter, page 4