Sunday, January 5, 2020

Day 101: At Sea

Ugh. I have tried repeatedly to upload this very short, text only post using the Blogger app and Majestic Princess WiFi, but can’t get it published. After several minutes of trying, it returns an error message telling me I’m not connected to the internet. I am close to being fed up with trying to use the ship’s WiFi for anything. The internet manager on board can do nothing other than give us more minutes. G blew through all of his 250 minute free minutes in just a few days and accomplished nothing. Having additional minutes doesn’t improve the WiFi; it just allows us to spend more time getting frustrated. 

Back to the post:

At last night’s Captain Circle parties, I could feel a cold coming on. In one sense, I couldn’t believe it. Surely I had gotten my winter illness over with on the Ruby Princess. That one was enough to last a year. But on the other hand, I’m not surprised. We sat in the Princess Theater two nights ago and a man in front of me was sneezing constantly; a woman behind me was doing the same with coughs. I can’t catch a softball thrown in a gentle toss with a mitt full of tacky glue, but never miss a germ within a quarter-mile of me. Being surrounded by them as I was during that show, I was a goner.

Because I was at that messy stage of a cold today, with lots of sneezes and coughs myself, I chose to quarantine myself in the cabin, a particular hardship because the Most Traveled Guest luncheon was scheduled for noon today. We got a message to the Captains Circle host, Carla, that I would not be attending, which allowed the waitstaff to do the required seating rearrangement, G got me a bowl of miso veggie ramen from Chopsticks Noodle Bowl not far from our cabin.

I spent the day watching Netflix videos I had downloaded at the library in Port Chalmers. One of them, The Two Popes, was especially interesting to me. Of course, it left me wanting to know more about the fact vs. fiction of what was portrayed in the movie, but, naturally, I couldn’t get a Google search to return anything. This is truly worse than French Polynesia undernet. 

In my absence, G went to Alfredo’s Pizzeria on Deck 6 for a Hawaiian pizza for dinner and said it was speedy and delicious, and then to the second of Scot Robin’s Buddy Holly tribute act. He seemed to handle his day of bach-ing it just fine, which is the beauty of a cruise ship. He was alone, but never lonely. 


Day 8 Princess Patter, page 1


Day 8 Princess Patter, page 2


Day 8 Princess Patter, page 3


Day 8 Princess Patter, page 4