Wednesday, January 15, 2020

Day 112: Wellington

We had a really satisfying though quite mundane day in Wellington. It was especially nice to have visited Wellington enough to the past to know that we could accomplish the things we needed to do today, and, in general, where we needed to go to get them done. 

We weren’t in a hurry to start our day. We had promised (pinky swore, actually) that the strict adherence to a schedule we had practiced on the Ruby Princess was behind us. These are not new ports; they’re not even the first time we’ve visited these ports this season. We could afford to slow down. 

We also have the best experience in the World Fresh Marketplace when the crowds have passed. G had it figured out far earlier than I did, except for the omelet ordering process, and he’s just started doing that this cruise. It’s harder for me, needing to stay away from dairy. The cooks always seem far too busy to be able to walk me around to tell me what I can eat, so I’ve been sticking with fruit, veggies, smoked salmon and vegetarian curries. I do a lot of walking to piece together my meals. 

So we settled in at a table toward the back, watched the ferry traffic on the sunny harbor, and enjoyed a quiet breakfast. Actually, brunch, because we knew we wouldn’t likely be eating again before dinner. 

We boarded one of the free shuttles that run non-stop between the freight terminal, where the Majestic Princess and the Viking Orion were berthed, into the CBD. Though it was sunny and warm-ish in the center of the city, it was chilly along the waterfront. I wore a jacket off the ship but quickly tied it around my waist once we were in town. 

It should be no surprise that we needed to find high speed WiFi today. We were both getting tired of the notifications that were popping up on our phones:  iOS update available...this iPhone hasn’t been backed up in two weeks...22 app updates available. It was time to silence them all, at least for a short period of time. G spotted the Victoria College School of Business building catercorner to the shuttle’s first stop. Surely they would have WiFi. But he took it a step further, and asked the two young ladies (oh so young... when did that happen?) seated at the reception desk about nearby walk in hair cutting salons. He was so clever to do that, and to realize that, of course there would be walk in hair salons around a college. He was told there was one just a five-minute walk away.

First, though, we set out to silence those notifications, and update and back up and otherwise get our phones to where they would be if we were at home- or on the Ruby Princess with its wonderful MedallionNet and 24/7 internet access. It is certainly a comfort to get all of our photos backed up. And it was pure bliss, at least for a short period of time, to feel on top of credit cards and checking accounts and investment accounts and mail deliveries at home. We can’t even open emails using Majestic Princess WiFi, but, of course, they continue to fill up our inboxes. 

We were there quite a while, as I got caught up on world news (which I have kind of removed from my daily life on the Majestic Princess, quite a sacrifice as I am a current events addict), left a phone message for Mom (she is never in her apartment), and tracked some items that were being auto-shipped to her. Ain’t technology great? I was also able to read some of the very kind emails you’ve sent to me. I’m sorry I haven’t responded; that may have to wait until we are home. As I’ve said, using internet in port is quite a dance between having time and signal strength/speed and battery life. 

Eventually, though, we left the college and made the 5-minute walk to the Snip hair cutting salon. This is always a risky thing for me, and it should be apparent how desperate I was for a haircut that I was willing to take it. I lucked out here. We waited just 20 minutes or so for a technician to become available, and I was thrilled to see that the one assigned to me had hair every bit as curly as mine. It makes for a very stressful experience if I need to first explain to a haircutter that curly hair shrinks- a lot- when it dries. 

G returned to the high speed WiFi at the college as soon at I was in the chair, and, though it took awhile, my hair was cut and shaped beautifully. It is very short, and kind of edgy, which is the beauty of getting it cut in a college town, and I wasn’t sure what G would think. Actually, I was pretty certain he would be unpleasantly shocked, but since he played a role in my getting it done today, he decided to be fully on board with it. :-) Three plus months of growth- plus a littlelot more- is gone, and it takes about two minutes to style every time I shower, which is at least once a day. It’s a good thing. 

We boarded a bus back to the ship about 4:30pm, and had just enough time to get changed for dinner. I felt giddily light hearted to be 1) feeling well (finally); 2) have a haircut that will last until long after we’re home; and 3) to have an iPhone in good enough condition to last until we get back to Sydney. It’s the simple things. 

And to make a good day even better, the entertainment tonight was pianist Jon Darsk, who we had seen on the Ruby Princess. Joy!  We left dinner in time to get the perfect seats in the Princess Theater so I could see the keyboard up close, though there was a camera recording his performance from different angles and showing it on the large screens on either side of center stage. He is just fantastic, and will be doing a matinee performance tomorrow afternoon and another evening show in the next few days. 


Day 7 dinner menu, page 1


Day 7 dinner menu, page 2


Day 7 dessert menu

We followed our usual pattern of walking through the World Fresh Marketplace on our return back to our cabin (yes, astute readers might point out it actually takes us out of the way to do that, but please don’t). I think I need to cut back on the late evening watermelon. It’s delicious, of course it is, but it’s a rather liquid snack to enjoy just before bedtime. 

If you know what I mean. ;-)


Day 7 Princess Patter, page 1


Day 7 Princess Patter, page 2


Day 7 Princess Patter, page 3


Day 7 Princess Patter, page 4