Thursday, February 16, 2012

Post-packing thoughts

It's midnight, and we finished packing our four huge suitcases, two carry ons and one personal item each about an hour ago. It was a tough process, but, somehow, we're returning home with almost the same amount of weight (the luggage, NOT us) that we brought. The toiletries we've used have been replaced with mail, Princess Patters (100 of them), cruise logs, island maps, business cards and Christmas cards. With our hand held travel scale, we know we have about 180 pounds spread across 4 suitcases, so we're good to go.

We invested $20 per person in EZ check, which allows us to put our suitcases outside our cabin and not see them again until the baggage claim at our home airport. We also were checked in for our flights and received our boarding passes and our airline luggage tags, which we've placed on our suitcases. All we have to do tomorrow is leave the ship by 9:30am with our two carry ons, my back pack and our laptop case, take a taxi to the airport (10 minutes) and go directly through security. No standing in line to check bags and print boarding passes. If our bags appear on the luggage carousel at our home airport as they're supposed to, I'll be a real fan of this new (to us) process. Keep your fingers crossed.

I am too tired tonight to have any final thoughts. I'll save those for another night when I'll hopefully be typing this while lying in my own bed. But I was in tears a couple of times tonight as we said goodbye to crew members. Something tells me breakfast tomorrow could be VERY emotional...