Thursday, December 8, 2011

Sunset, Day 31 (Turnaround Day, Fort Lauderdale)

I was up early this morning and watched a beautiful sunrise while we were docked in Fort Lauderdale, but I was too busy talking with Mom to get a photo! No worries...I have 70 more chances to photograph sunrises.
When I went out on the Promenade Deck this morning to make phone calls, I was immediately stuck by how cold it was. It was 60 degrees in Fort Lauderdale! After my calls, I returned immediately to the cabin to put on the clothes I'd worn to fly from home 31 days ago. If Fort Lauderdale follows last year's patterns, I may have to wear them several more times.
After breakfast we went through immigration and then walked over to Publix, Walgreens and Payless, where G had to replace a pair of sandals that didn't survive the first month of cruising. It turned out to be a beautiful day, sunny, dry and in the mid 70s. We ate a late lunch in the dining room and then I returned to the cabin to color my hair, which was getting blonder by the minute. G used the hot tub and we both showered and went on the upper decks for sailaway.
It is still a huge thrill to embark on a new cruise, and we especially love the sound of the ship's horn as we leave the channel of Port Everglades and enter the open ocean.
It had begun to rain just before sailaway, but we were happy to see that it quickly cleared and the sailaway party was able to be held on the pool deck. During the party, we met Hotel Director Peter Hollinson's wife and 9 month old son, both of whom live on the ship with him while he is onboard. The officers (especially) and the crew lead such interesting and international lives!
After dinner in the dining room, we are early to bed. The illness that I have been fighting for a week has, in my typical pattern, taken full hold and I may end up at the ship's doctor tomorrow. We have two days at sea for me to get better, so I can be ready for a beach day on St. Kitts.