Thursday, December 12, 2013

Day 43: St. Thomas

I have so shockingly little to report today that's it's one of those rare days when I think, "Oh, why did I ever start this blog thing?"  We did have plans today:  to watch the sunrise as we approached St. Thomas; to walk into Charlotte Amalie and then climb the 99 steps to Blackbeard's Castle; to watch the Broncos v. Chargers game on MUTS tonight, but...squat. Nothing. It was a "down day" because it had been an long, sleepless, "up night".

The Emerald Princess was rocking and rolling yesterday evening, so much so that, avid fans that we are, we noticed a few choreography changes in last night's production show, I Got the Music. They do that occasionally when rough seas endanger performer (and passenger) safety. By the time we went to bed, high on the back of the ship, it was definitely a "tuck in the duvet" sort of night. While that kept us from rolling out of bed, it didn't prevent us from being awakened time and time and time and time again, all night long, as the ship heaved and shook. We would fall back asleep quickly, generally within a few minutes, but I think we never did achieve that deep REM sleep that keeps us from...well, saying exactly what we think when we encounter an irritation. In other words, we were armed and a bit dangerous. At least, I was. G was smart and stayed in bed when I got up at 6:30pm, and probably got some decent sleep after the ship docked in St. Thomas. 

I snuck out of the cabin and made a beeline for the IC. Coffee doesn't need to be caffeinated for me to crave it in the morning. I was in the DaVinci Dining Room as soon as it opened, and enjoyed dining by myself while reading a book on my iPhone. After I was finished, I went up to Deck 7 and sat in Crooners to get a morning call out to Mom. I was still talking to her when another call came in; G was up and on the move. I met up with him in the DaVinci Dining Room while he ate and I succumbed and had a pastry. I'm sorry to report that Christmas stollen has not yet made an appearance, which is a bit sad.  As you know, it's a favorite of mine. Maybe now that Shoewatch is over, I should start Stollenwatch. 

I was happy, thrilled, relieved to hear that G had slept as poorly as I had (maybe that didn't come out quite right...) and was also not a bundle of energy today, because, if he had been, you know I'd've found myself climbing up those 99 steps on my hands and knees. Instead, G seemed content to sit on the Promenade Deck and Internet to his heart's content. And that is how we spent part of the morning, in silent (safer that way) companionship. Finally I changed into my swimsuit and blew up a float and sat in the Terrace Pool, listening to my latest audiobook (Sophie Kinsella's Can you Keep a Secret, which I know is 30 years too young for me, but I'm on vacation and temporarily weary of murder mysteries). Now that was a wonderful feeling, to be floating in a pool, hot in the sun but cool in the water, simply listening to a book. Oh, and answering the phone when school called asking if I'd be available to work in January ("You won't believe where you caught me!"). 

If I could have had a slice of pizza delivered to me, I might still be there in that pool, but by 2pm I started getting hungry. G, sitting just above me on the Terrace Deck, declared that he was too. I went back to the cabin a few steps away to change and then forward to the pizzeria to pick up two slices of pizza for G (pepperoni) and one for me (four cheese) from this year's Mr. Pizza, Vladimer, who also happens to be Mr. Pastry in the IC in the morning. My slice was perhaps the best pizza I'd ever had, super crispy, just the way I like it. The second piece that I just had to get was not as crispy and not as good, which is probably for the best. Pizza that good and that freely available is a dangerous thing. 

Finally G walked off the ship, convinced the iguanas were looking for him, and I returned to the Terrace Pool. But sailaway from St. Thomas is always so beautiful that I was showered and up in Skywalkers by 4:45pm and was followed not long after by G. It was Breeza Marina night, which was a perfect accompaniment to the scenery passing by.  

Honeymoon Beach on Water Island:

In spots, Water Island is just a narrow stretch of land:

We were down on the Promenade Deck on our way to dinner at sunset:

Dinner with Darko...I love the sound of that, but I love the experience even more.

And maître d' Generoso Mazzone and Executive Chef Giuseppe Pollara (Martha, remember them both from our Chefs Table last February?) stopped by to visit briefly. 

We went to the Princess Theater for the 7:15pm show by vocalist Bobby Banks Wilson whom we'd seen two cruises ago...but he's lost his voice and had to cancel as late as 5:30. In his place, and on very short notice, the singers and dancers stepped up to the plate and performed the production show Boogie Shoes, which was fine by us.


We're about to go to Club Fusion for the Broncos v. Chargers game which, surprisingly, is not being shown on MUTS tonight. It starts at 9:25pm and should finish well after midnight. But Captain Nick promised us a calmer night tonight, so while we might turn in late, sleep should be much easier tonight. 

And, finally, another laundry update. We're convinced they're washing clothes in holy water. ;-). This is G's t-shirt that had been returned last time with three small holes: