Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Day 42: At Sea

Was it only last cruise that I was blogging about occasional bouts of homesickness?  Well, what a difference ten days make. That winter cold snap covering the US has me re-thinking my life at sea, and everything (even the repetitive TV shows and formal night dress-ups) seems wonderful, in a "oh, darling, aren't we living the dream?" sort of way, instead of the more typical "would you please just sit on the bed until I finish getting ready and then I'll get out of the cabin so you can?" sort of way.  We're on a definite roll here:  we're both staying well (despite lots of sneezes and coughs around us this cruise); things are fine at home (and I give G full credit for that; the Nest thermostat that I doubted and all the webcams are staying online and functional); we're thrilled with our cabin steward and wait staff (those three people have a huge effect on the cruise experience); and I've got new shoes. 

Life is good. 

The morning routine was the usual, and we need only walk up to the IC coffee counter and we are handed our morning coffees served just the way we like them. The next stop was the PSD for the shoes, and then the dining room where we once again were served by Komel from Thailand and Veko from Serbia who remembered just what we like. That the crew can do that, not just for us but for everyone else they see just twice, is really pretty remarkable. 

G went up to Skywalkers for this cruise's Cruise Critic meet and greet, but I took the time to do some cabin cleaning. That's right- I actually cleaned. When we packed up last year, I discovered a huge amount of dust on surfaces, no doubt because they had been covered with our "stuff" for months and the steward hadn't been able to wipe them down (at least, that's what I'm choosing to believe was the reason our SN didn't clean). We decided right then that, as cluttered as this cabin is, we needed to take care of that ourselves this winter. G did the first round and I'm on it this time around. Lamp shades, light bulbs, picture frames, every square inch of surfaces are getting cleaned at least once a cruise. 

The closet is full from top to bottom:

That useless table is in the comer of the closet holding the beach cooler and backpack. 


Even the narrow shelves next to the vanity are full. 



I ran down to the Piazza for fruit and vegetable carving, specifically to give fruit and ice carver Jefferson (G calls him Chef Jeff) some accolades. He and the other carver, Cecil, do amazing work, and, as I mentioned earlier, Jefferson's father did the same thing on NCL. He is so sweet, and told me earlier to keep track of what I've seen him carve and let him know so that he doesn't repeat any during his demonstrations. 




How can we not love these people who seem to want to make our winter so wonderful?

It was just before noon when we opened our cabin door to go to lunch and ran into cruise friends Bob and Mary who we've cruised with for two Christmases now and will again this year. We all decided to go to lunch in the DaVinci Dining Room together (it was veggie burrito day for me) and then I sat in the Piazza until 2pm listening to strings duo Playthoven. Finally it was time to get moving, and so I plugged in my ear buds, started listening to a new audiobook and went up to Deck 19 to walk for an hour. It was sunny and beautiful up there, and there were a couple of groups enjoying croquet and bocce ball. 

Meanwhile, G went to this cruise's veterans get together in the Wheelhouse Bar, which he always enjoys. Before he returned, I had changed into a swimsuit, put on my aqua gloves for resistance, switched my listening choice to music and went up to the small but deep splash pool on Deck 17 to do some water aerobics. It was certainly a perfect day for it. 

At 4pm, I passed G in the hot tub next to the pool and returned to the cabin to get ready for formal night. G returned to shower while I was dressing, and I sat on the bed while he dressed (it's the only way). Meanwhile, chocolate covered strawberries were delivered (which, when you're Elite, is synonymous with formal night (does anyone ever order those other things that are available?)).  They're pretty small these days, but still are a welcome perk.  I helped G only with his bow tie (he's had so much experience that he can pretty much dress himself in his tux, a real change from when dressing him took longer than getting myself ready on formal night) and from his silver hair to his patent leather shoes he looked pretty darn snazzy. (That's my guy!)

We skipped Skywalkers in favor of a 5:15pm Beatles medley by the production show singers and dancers in the Piazza. I haven't been mentioning these short (...I don't know what to call them. At five minutes long they're really not shows. I guess I'll play it safe and just call them...) performances, but they take place nearly every day in the Piazza. Sometimes it's a Motown Medley, sometimes it's that Escape Completely performance we first saw on the Royal Princess (I like that one a lot), sometimes it's Rock this Town. You have to be quick or you'll miss them, but when they occur just before dinner, we generally try to see them. 

Dinner with Darko (he calls me Milady, which makes me feel like I'm living in an 18th century romance novel) and Komang was a treat. I had my only beef (the beef tenderloins) of the cruise and steamed broccoli. When we got up to leave in time for the 7pm show, skipping dessert and coffee, Darko announced he'd take care of the former for us. Stay tuned...

The production show I Got the Music was shown tonight. We're 3 for 3 now on that one. Accompanied by the Emerald Princess orchestra, it's definitely our favorite. Afterwards, we arrived back in the Piazza in time for the Captain's Welcome Aboard Champagne party, where we met Bob and Mary and chatted so long and intensely that we missed the introduction of the officers and the captain's speech. It was at this party that I learned that G had hit it out of the park at the veteran's get together today, taking charge (color me shocked) and getting everyone talking and involved. Several people and cruise staffer Kim came up to him to thank him for it. (That's MY guy!). 

After fuzzy water procurement, we arrived back in the cabin to find..dessert was served!  Room service had delivered two pavlovas; how did Darko manage that? And how did he know I love pavlovas?  Have I mentioned we love Darko?  No, I haven't, but I am now. For the first time. We are already spoiled, and that's one of my favorite ways to be.





It's early, but we're done for the day. I'm hoping to be up early for our arrival into St. Thomas tomorrow; it's a beautiful thing.  I may surprise myself and actually make it.