Monday, November 18, 2013

Our day on land

We had such a restful evening last night. Friends we've recently met gave us the names of so many restaurants to try around the Embassy Suites, and on the Intercoastal waterway, but, really, all we wanted was to watch the race, hit the manager's cocktail party last night (another plus for the Embassy Suites) and then watch the Broncos-Chiefs game.  I barely stayed awake for the latter (but it was worth staying up for!), and then slept fitfully. My cold has worsened a bit and I was thankful for the Sudafed and Ibuprofen we always pack. 

We were hoping to catch sunrise over the Atlantic from our room at the Embassy Suites, and see a cruise ship coming into Port Everglades, and we did both!   Then I went back to sleep. ;-)

RC's Liberty of the Seas arrives in Port Everglades at sunrise. 

I guess at some point in time G went down for the free breakfast, which at the Embassy Suites includes made-to-order omelets (omelets and happy hours...they've certainly helped ease our transition from one cruise ship to another, haven't they?). He must have been quiet about it, because I just snoozed away until after 8am. Quick shower, and I grabbed some breakfast too. 

The Embassy Suites is undergoing a renovation of its breakfast area, which has been temporarily relocated to its restaurant. It's not annoying when we're in our room, but when G joined me for his second breakfast and construction work was in full force, with accompanying chemical smell, G turned to me and asked, "Why do I feel like I'm eating Asbestoasties for breakfast?"  That's my guy! 

Following breakfast, we put the Do Not Disturb sign on the door.  We have six suitcases open on the floor, and stuff spread from one end of this suite to the other. Best not to invite outside scrutiny, we think. When G mentioned to the maid that he'd like her to skip us, but that we needed extra towels, she was so relieved  that he returned with an armload of towels and 8 bottles of water.  

When I picked up my iPhone this morning, I was rudely greeted by the same badge I'd been a slave to in our pre-cruise fury to get ready...a number indicating my list of to-do's for today. Oh yeah, I'd forgotten about that; I had scheduled several things to be taken care of today while we had unlimited phone and Internet service. It was time to get busy!


While we worked and phoned, we continued to enjoy the view of the ocean and Port Everglades from our room. This room has what is called a French balcony, with enough room to step out on to, but that's about it (not too dissimilar from the Royal Princess!). But the sliding glass door provides a great view. I highly suggest that, if you stay here, you try to get a room on an upper floor on the east side of the building. It's worth it!

Next we took care of some personal beautification projects; G got a hair cut and I got a manicure, pedicure and my hair colored. And you know us well enough to know that none of these required a trip to a salon or barber shop. Nope, we're pretty self-reliant...and just a smidge thrifty. I chose to color my hair before moving to the Emerald Princess for several reasons:  1.) better light in the bathroom; 2.) more space in the bathroom; 3.) my hair color matched the granite in the bathroom perfectly, just in case of a chemistry crisis; and 4.) to avoid having our cabin steward giving me sideways looks and our waiter from asking, "Madam, wasn't your hair yellow at breakfast today?"  

Finally, it was time for us to head out for our errands. Our first stop was Office Depot, across the street (more or less) from the hotel. We've suffered our first casualty of the winter:  my mouse stopped working. I think the fact that it rattles when I shake it might have something to do with it. It was my lucky day; Office Depot had the same cordless mouse on sale, 33% off. G tried to fax our (caution:  cruise acronyms to follow) CCL OBC request to Princess, but either the Office Depot or Princess fax wasn't cooperating. That item remains on the to-do list. 

Next we walked down to CVS, and had a mildly successful shopping trip. I simply could not believe that they didn't have any Q-Tip brand Q-Tips. What kind of drug store doesn't have Q-Tips?  I'm still astounded. But they did have the 100% acetone I need to remove the glitter nail polish I wear on cruises (it's either that or a blow torch), so that was a plus.  But a few items remain on the list, and we still have to run over to Publix in the morning. 

By then it was almost 4pm. We returned to our hotel room just long enough to dump our our purchases, and started walking toward the 17th Street drawbridge to watch the Zuiderdam and the Liberty of the Seas sail away. As always, we encountered several other people there who were sailing on the Emerald Princess tomorrow, and it's always fun to talk and share the excitement with fellow cruisers.





We went to the manager's cocktail party when we returned to the Embassy Suites and ordered quesadillas for dinner by the pool. Almost everyone there will be boarding the Emerald Princess tomorrow  and it was pretty much a pre-cruise party. Honestly, socializing is one of the best parts of cruising!


Back in the room now, just in time to pack away today's purchases, and settle down to watch Monday Night Football, drink my fuzzy water and eat popcorn. 

I'm practicing for our cruise!