Saturday, November 9, 2013

Day 11: At Sea






Prepared Friday evening, November 8th 

We had to give back that hour we gained the night before Cozumel, and so slept until nearly 8 this morning, but we had gotten out of bed earlier just to catch today's sunrise, which took place right off our starboard-side balcony.

Breakfast in the Lido buffet continues to be our preferred way to start the day. Today G had 9 different juices, including fresh squeezed OJ. I got a crepe topped with raspberry compote and then enjoyed watching it be made so much that I grabbed my camera and videoed the process, forcing a cherry-topped crepe on G.

There were a lot of activities on tap this morning, but with the sun shining brightly for the first time this cruise, I chose to plug in my ear buds and walk on the Promenade Deck while G went to the galley tour (he loves those things- don't ask me why).  During the galley tour, he saw the preparations for today's lunch in the Manhattan Dining Room and insisted that it be on our schedule. So, still slightly full from breakfast, we did go, and had a wonderful four course lunch. Really, we could never cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam for an entire winter...we'd have to be rolled off. I've narrowed my conclusion about food on the Nieuw Amsterdam:  it has to be in the top two of the best cruise food we've ever had...and I can't remember when we've had better.

After lunch, we enjoyed using one of the aft hot tubs for a bit until we decided we needed to get to at least one formal tea on this ship. Each day's tea is different; there was a cupcake tea, an Indonesian tea, and today's was the most formal of all, the Royal Dutch high tea. Sure, we needed to see that. So, again with the food.  Help me!

More walking afterwards, but this time at a slower place and hand in hand with my best friend. G sees the world a bit differently than most people, and had me in stitches with his observations about ballards and anchors and davits and divits (see photo below). 

Finally, it was time for a first for me on a cruise ship:  I took a bubble bath in our bathtub. As nice as it is for showering, it's a bit short to bathe in, but I scootched down best I could...and did laundry at the same time. Oh, come on; tell me you wouldn't have done the same, given motive and opportunity. I must have dawdled a bit (I'm sure I dawdled a bit), because G's knocking on the bathtub door grew more desperate. I think we could cruise in a broom closet, provided it had two bathrooms. 

Finally, it was almost 7pm, and though it was formal night, it was a foregone conclusion that dressing up to dine yet again just wasn't in the cards for us tonight.  We did dress in our best "smart casual" attire, though, and went to the buffet just tonight's beef tenderloin, and dessert (raspberry mousse; life is good).

We had time to listen to the Adagio duo (violin and piano playing classical music). If there has been any disappointment this cruise, it's that  HAL has done away with their string quartet in favor of a duo, a money saving  exercise, I'm sure. Still nice, just not quite as nice 

Tonight's entertainment in the "Showroom at Sea" was touted as having won Porthole Magazine's entertainment of the year award for 2012- Cantare, a 4-member male singing group. They were good- a cross between the Temptations and the Osmonds, looking like they came right out of central casting for the Book of. Mormon.  There is something about so much of Holland America's main entertainment that reminds me of the Lawrence Welk shows my grandmother loved. This makes sense, considering that the average passenger age must be upwards of 80. 

More music followed- Ben and the HALCats playing some pop songs and a bit of the Emerald Princess equivalent of. Jazzio in the Adagio. Finally, it was nearly 11pm and time for bed. Tomorrow is Key West, and we've been advised that we need to go through US immigration on the ship beginning at 9am. The upside:  AT&T Internet service!

Photo 1:  today's sunrise, as seen from our balcony

Photo 2:  G'a breakfast crepe, with fresh cherry compote

Photos 3 to 5:  lunch menu in the Manhattan dining room. Amazing!

Photo 6:  Rusty bringing our desserts:  lemon meringue pie for me and three sundaes for G

Photo 7:  davits and divits and ballards...oh my!

Photo 8:  just hangin' around