Saturday, November 2, 2013

Day 5: Evening

As G went to a hot tub mid afternoon, I stayed behind to get the blog post on Royal Princess final thoughts typed. Wifi on the Royal has given me some fits, but sometimes it's been great. For example, for the most part, I've been able to check the webcams at home and our Nest thermostat. Yesterday afternoon, at about the time everyone was back on board after Grand Turk, I was able to place a Vonage call to Mom that was as clear as AT&T, albeit with a little latency. Then, just hours later, at 11pm, when it should have been quiet, I couldn't get on at all. A few evenings I've typed blog posts only to unable to send until the next morning. So, it's hard to draw any conclusions. The Blogger app I'd hoped to use to publish blog posts didn't work at all. Can someone let me know if the photos I'm posting are decent? I'm sending emails at the very lowest resolution, but if they're really bad I'll step it up a level.

Anyway, back to this afternoon. Tonight was Breeza Marina night in the Elite Lounge, and you know what that means...herbed goat cheese too. We went right at 5pm and sat with a couple who were thoroughly disgusted with the Royal Princess. No problem; we sat and listened and discussed. It just doesn't affect our enjoyment of the ship if someone else dislikes it. Nor do we feel inclined to defend it. To each his own.

Our final dinner with waitstaff April and Michael (aka Team Yummy) was a treat. I wish we could take them both with us! They have provided wonderful dining service, and April remembered that we were celebrating. G's birthday on this cruise, so tonight was the night for cake and song. So sweet! G wanted me to mention his NY strip steak tonight was the best of the cruise. I had the always available salmon.

We went to the earliest of three performances of the production show Colours of the World in the Princess Theater at 6:45pm (after just two dinner courses). Wonderful show, gorgeous costumes, we enjoyed it very much. The lighting and technology in the Princess Theater is really impressive, and, after seeing the production shows on the Emerald Princess many, many times, it's fun to see new ones.

Then we headed right back to the Vista Lounge for vocalist Mark Prentiss' more informal show back there. You know, I'm probably 15-20 years too young for most of his songs, but his talent and, frankly, his looks made for a pleasant 45 minutes.

We grabbed popcorn on the way back to the cabin to pack. We'd like to go out again to listen to pianist Ray Cousins, but it depends how carefully we choose to pack. If we shove it all in, we'll pay the price tomorrow night. Must stay organized!

Photo 1: G with April and Michael and his birthday cake.

Photos 2-7: from the production show Colours of the World