Sunday, November 17, 2013

Day 18: At Sea

Prepared Friday evening, November 15th

I was so looking forward to a down day without a schedule. Silly me...I'm on the Allure OTS! There are NO down days on the world's largest cruise ship! In fact, the daily activities guide is so chocked full of activities that, instead of being two pages double-sided, as on most cruise ships, the daily Compass on the Allure is four pages double sided. No shortage of fun here!

We went to breakfast in the dining room for the first time, and I was impressed by the variety of food on the menu. I had fruit, and an egg beater omelet, but when our friends from the Royal Princess who we were dining with ordered the chocolate banana bread, and it was delivered on a rectangle-shaped plate with other chocolate goodies, I had to have a taste. The pastry and baked goods on this ship have been wonderful!

After breakfast, we wandered the ship a bit to see the public areas we'd not get visited, such as the card room (huge, and it was full) and the library (not huge, but certainly large enough). We made our way down to the walking track and realized then that it was a hot, sunny and beautiful day (that was our first time outside). I do love the walking/jogging track on the Allure. It's not a true promenade because the life boats hang down and block the view of the ocean in most places, but there are some bump outs between the life boats, and a lovely area on the stern with several teak chairs.

We climbed up one level to Deck 6 and walked out to the Boardwalk neighborhood, and, in a real case of "when was the last time you did something for the first time?" we both rode the beautiful carousel which was hand made in Mansfield, Ohio. I love the sound of the carousel which lends an air of amusement park fun to the Boardwalk. By then the hot dog stand was open, and we each had a hot dog (mine was made from chicken and apple- yummy). While we were sitting there eating them, we watched the zip liners overhead and decided it was time for another first. We had signed waivers for all the on board activities on line before we left home, and I'm glad we did, as it meant less paperwork on the ship. G geared up and went first, as I videoed him, then I went and then he went again while I took still shots. I was so impressed with the crew members of the Sports Team on board the Allure (in fact, I've been so impressed with every crew member and officer we've interacted with on board, but that's a subject for another post). They were so helpful and fun and reassuring. The zip line is over very quickly...it just goes across the ship above the Boardwalk, but we just had to do it. My biggest fear was not the height but the landing on the other end, but all went well.

By then we had started to work up another appetite, and so went all the way forward on the ship to the Solarium Bistro for a healthy lunch (to make up for the chocolate banana bread at breakfast and pre-lunch hot dog). Finally it was time to check out the two flow riders at the back of the ship, and we spent the rest of the afternoon back there. There are a small set of bleachers set up for spectators at each flow rider, and we sat on there for a couple of hours watching first the boogie board flow rider, and then the surfing flow rider as one after another our fellow passengers risked dignity and injury as they attempted to conquer the "wave". If I hadn't been impressed with the Allure's Sports Team before that point, I certainly would have been from watching them work with passengers young and old, big and little, with huge amounts of patience and humor. The sun was warm but the breeze cool, great music pumped on the Sports Deck and we had some of the best fun we've had lately sitting up there and enjoying it all. (Remember this point for a later post when I wrap up my thoughts about cruising on the Allure of the Seas).

We pulled ourselves away to get cleaned up for our 5:00pm drinking session...er, Diamond Lounge. Our cruise was made so much better by the two couples we'd met on the very first evening and enjoyed talking with every night thereafter. It's amazing how sometimes things just click like that.

We had made reservations for the Comedy Club show that night at 7pm. It featured two comedians, Dave Williamson and Eric Lyden. Now, you know my feelings about ship comics usually range between indifference and despite, but these guys were the BEST! When Eric joked that he needed GPS to follow his wife's conversations, G pointed right at me. I have a feeling I'll be hearing about that again. 

Afterwards, dinner (it was formal night, so it was lobster and prime rib), and then listening to live music, walking "home" through Central Park and collapsing into bed.

Restful, this cruise is not. But fun...oh yeah.

Photo 1: G on the carousel

Photo 2: G on the zip line

(I did these things too, but the photos of me aren't on my iPhone)

Photo 3: I used to think that the pools on the Royal Princess were crowded, but now I have a new frame of reference!

Photo 4: tonight's towel animal: the ubiquitous hanging monkey