Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Day 63: Happy birthday to me!

Once again this year, I'm celebrating my birthday on the Emerald Princess, complete with balloons and a poster on our door, and a birthday cake in the dining room. And while I didn't have a Broncos OT win to put an exclamation point on the day like last year, I did have a very special end to a wonderful day. Read on...

And BTW, I'm using G's iPhone to type this post and take the photos.

We were awake early again, and G seemed especially determined to watch the Wake Show, cruise director Lee and deputy CD Frenchie's daily show that contains newsy information about the day's activities. I soon saw why: G had written a note asking them to mention my birthday (as they also do with anniversaries, etc.), and they did, Frenchie's voice going up an octave.."J! Is that from G? Oh, it's THAT J!". We watched it one more time (it loops all morning) and videoed it for posterity.

We were still the dining room when it opened for breakfast (we were awake REALLY early!). Afterwards, we spent some time on the Terrace Deck to talk and look at the ship's wake (love that!), and then I worked with G's iPhone to get my emails. I was happy to see he already had my email accounts set up on his phone; I just needed to turn them on. I was most anxious to get Mom's birthday email (always extra special) and thrilled to be remembered by my brother, friends, and even the twins (thank you Susan!).

This cruise's Cruise Critic meet and greet was scheduled for 10:30am in Skywalkers, but I arrived late when Dr. Smith called me and I needed to run down to the Medical Center for the eleventy hundredth time this winter to get some paperwork. But once at the meet and greet, it was so good to put faces with names. I'm getting several emails from people following this blog, and some of them are on this cruise!

Lunch followed, then time on the Promenade Deck watching maritime fireworks; the ship was bucking such a severe headwind that the water was spraying up in huge plumes over the bow. We wanted to see how windy it was up on Deck 19 on the jogging track and so headed up there. We went out on one of the two wings looking unprotected out to the front of the ship, and I'm certain I looked 30 years younger as my skin was pressed against my face (and the rest fell behind my ears). G wanted to sit in a hot tub, but I liked the 30 years younger feeling and so decided to walk up there for awhile. While very windy, it was sunny and hot, with 35 mile views of the water in all directions.

This was the first time in a very long time that I've walked alone without benefit of music or audiobook and it felt strange at first, but eventually my mind settled on designing a dress to sew for next year's formal nights and then to what G said about bad things happening in threes. Instead of waiting for the next shoe to drop, I've decided to consider the broken earring the first thing and choose to believe that only good things lie in store.

I did swing by the library when it opened at 3pm to get a real book to read. Luckily, they had one I had been wanting to read: Summer Rental by Mary Kay Andrews. (So much harder to hold a big, hard cover book than an iPhone, but beggars...).

Finally it was time for some hair cuts for both of us (on a seriously rocking ship; who says we're not talented?) and then it was formal night. After pre-dinner drinks (real ones- I can drink alcohol again!) with Janet and Bob, we talked all through dinner with Jim and Marcia at the next (close) table for two and they shared in my birthday cake and singing afterward.

We skipped the Welcome Aboard party (but took a photo of the champagne glasses stacked for the waterfall in case they later collapsed with the ship's severe movement), then saw the first performance of What A Swell Party in the Princess Theater (a birthday sacrifice on G's part). We still had time to snag champagne on our way to the Explorers Lounge for mentalist Joshua Seth's show. I like his mentalist show much better than his hypnotist show.

Again tonight, we had two different shows to choose from, one in the Princess Theater and one in the Explorers Lounge . Before January 17th last year, we always did; after that we never did, and now we seem to get two shows to choose from a few nights of the cruise. We like it!

We took a few minutes to listen to band Sole Provider in Club Fusion (they are so good) and then sat for an hour in Adagio listening to Jazzio in the Adagio with the Emerald Princess orchestra.

What a great evening of entertainment!

We returned to our cabin after 10pm to find, jaw-dropping shockingly, a huge bouquet of tropical flowers from cruise director Lee and deputy CD Frenchie wishing me a Happy Birthday. That was the sweetest, nicest gift!

I love it here!

Happy birthday to me
I'm happy to be
On a cruise ship at sea
Happy birthday to me

It was the best one ever!!!

Photo 1: door decorations

Photo 2: birthday cake!

Photo 3: the well constructed tower of champagne glasses for the waterfall tower (it didn't collapse on this rocking, bucking ship!)

Photo 4: What a Swell Party!

Photo 5: what swell flowers!!!