Monday, January 7, 2013

Day 62: At Sea


Today was the first time I drowned my iPhone in the Terrace Pool.



   
My Lifeproof case didn't fail; it was my own dumb fault.  I entered the pool listening to an audio book and when it cut out I knew immediately something bad had happened.  Right now my phone is sitting in a Ziploc bag of rice, and I'm willing it to return to life, but I'm not optimistic.  I knew this was a risk, and I was willing to take it.  I'm sorry that it was my own stupidity that did me in (I had failed to check that the charging port cover was closed), but that's life.

At home, I would already have a replacement in hand.  AT&T still has the iPhone 4 with 8Gb of memory for 99 cents.  We have three cell phone numbers that qualify for an upgrade.  It would be easy peasy, especially with the AT&T store 5 minutes away.  On a ship, it's not so easy.  The best I can hope for it that I'll be able to get one in St. Thomas or Fort Lauderdale in less than 10 days; at worst, I may not get a replacement for a few weeks.  Luckily, the phone is backed up in iTunes and I have backed up all photos except for the last two days.  I was prepared for failure!

So, for the interim...text, but no photos, unless I download some from G's phone onto my laptop.  Bear with me.

We awoke so early today, despite moving clocks ahead an hour last night, that we were in the dining room for breakfast by 7am when it opened.  The remainder of the morning was spent washing out and stuffing my Tilley hat to dry it and soaking up the sun on the Terrace Deck.  Lunch was also in the dining room, and our reunion continues; G spotted cruise friends Janet and Bob from Calgary sitting at a table right behind us.  We've cruised with them at least three times before.

Have I mentioned that I love these January cruises?

After a rum tasting program at 1:30pm (again, G is reaping the benefit of my root canal, as today is my final day without alcohol), I returned to the cabin to change into my swimsuit and went back out onto the Terrace Deck, which is when THE HORROR occurred.  I spent the remainder of the afternoon slightly numb, but glad that I had my laptop, and that my phone is backed up on my laptop, and that my laptop is backed up on a hard drive in the safe deposit box at home, and my iTunes files are backed up on a flash drive I have with me.  You see, I really did plan for this, so in that sense it's a successful failure.

We joined Janet and Bob for pre-dinner drinks...well, club soda, and then joined Jim and Marsha at the next table for dinner.  While there, I asked headwaiter for Luis for a bag of rice.  He gave me a questioning look, and when I told him what happened, he hugged me.  That's Princess for you!

G was commiserating with me at dinner; I said I'm not thrilled with the way 2013 has started.  First, my root canal and now my iPhone.  G comfortingly offered that bad things usually happen in threes and then stop, and now I'm worried that a broken leg is next in line.

Shockingly, I found myself sitting in ventriloquist's Joshua Seth's show at 7:15pm.  That's 30 minutes of my life I'll never get back.  I'm now in the Café Caribe (so as not to disturb G...typing on my laptop is a LOT easier than on my iPhone, but can't easily be done in bed) preparing this post and checking my emails.  Up next, three choices:  Jazzio in the Adagio with the Emerald Princess orchestra at 9:00pm, party line dancing class with Leesh in Club Fusion at 9;15pm or the BCS National Title game on MUTS at 9:30pm.

Maybe Notre Dame will win it all.  THAT will be the THIRD bad thing, and then it will all be over.