I was actually at the Calypso Pool even before it was uncovered (un-netted) this morning around 6am. So were a couple of lap swimmers, so it was again a case of carving out a corner for myself. The water was rough today. Really rough, but, like yesterday, I appreciated not having wind blowing across my wet ears.
I completed my workout, warmed up in a hot shower, further warmed up by using heat when I blew my hair dry, and met G in Sabatini’s shortly after it opened at 7:30am. And that was when the day took a nasty turn, food-wise. Yesterday, I wasn’t hungry and ate just two meals. Today, I was a bottomless pit, filling my face with everything. So when G suggested I try a breakfast pastry, I ate the whole thing, part of his brioche French toast, a few nibbles off his bacon…and then my usual Greek yogurt and fruit (to keep it healthy). 😆
It was in the aftermath of those poor choices that I started to re-think sea days, and actually checked air fare to cut my return cruise short by five days. Happily, common sense prevailed, but, always trying to keep it real here in this blog, dear readers…’dem’s’ da facts.
Luckily, Eric Phillips’ presentation today was particularly interesting. He was on a Space X flight last year (Resilience rocket, Fram2 voyage), funded by a Chinese crypto entrepreneur that completed the first polar orbit of earth (they usually are in a path closer to the equator). He talked about the extensive training and medical clearances their team of four people had to go through to be able to not only participate but to actually fly the rocket and conduct experiments.
It was during that presentation when I recalled something I read once on Cruise Critic, that on board enrichment lectures were not worth the time. Au contraire! My two most recent cruises have featured Dr. James Engman and Eric Phillips, who could be and most likely are on a professional speaking circuit.
I was still starving and still cold, so I met G in the Botticelli Dining Room for lunch. More poor food choices (G ordered the colossal fries and I ate most of them), but lots of tea did go a long way to warming me up. I had thought ahead and took my/ the ship’s ukulele to the lecture and lunch and was able to go directly to today’s ukulele lesson with Hawaiian ambassadors Kamaki and Kaile. Still loving that. Still pretty bad at it. I’m one step above fake strumming (à la G last year).
And then I returned to the cabin, turned up the heat, put on one of our really warm (I suspect suite) robes and didn’t nap. I have been trying to get my Princess survey email from last cruise to download, and can’t (but G can stream video every night…go figure), so I worked unsuccessfully on that for a while. I still need to complete that survey, but don’t want to spend time in Hawaii doing that.
We skipped the Elite Lounge and went directly to dinner with Libres and Sulton. G left before coffee to get our favorite seats for tonight’s Princess Theater entertainment, Elvis tribute artist Dan Middleditch. I searched my blog for his name; I knew we had seen him before. We did, just last January, but I wrote nothing then about his show then. And so I won’t again. 🤭
G made it to the Vista-less Lounge for a performance by the comedian-magician Kyle Marlette. I was afraid of another razor blade act and skipped it but G went, as did many of our fellow guests because there was a huge SRO crowd and G said he was really funny.
Darn. Maybe next cruise. Oh, wait. There is no next cruise for us on this ship.
Needing to learn how to take an afternoon nap is still at the top of my to-do list. But it’s hard to be in a pool at 6am and still awake at 9pm without one.