Friday, October 9, 2026

Day 13: At Sea

I just realized that I didn’t publish this post yesterday. Sorry!


Today was one of those days when it is hard to find time to tell you what I did…because I was so busy doing it. The day started at 6:30am with a pool session. I went to the Calypso Pool today, merely to avoid the wind moving across my wet ears, and quickly realized that pool is used by lap swimmers. But I carved out my little corner at the shallow end of the pool and tried to avoid the swimmers. The water was still bouncy but it was a smidge warmer than the Terrace Pool had been and there was no wind. Finally, a very fit older gentleman showed up, also sporting webbed aqua gloves, and started his workout in a different corner of the pool. Holy hot dog. If he got that body through water workouts, I’m gonna keep doing crunch jacks and rocking horses until I drop dead. 

By the time I showered and got warmed up, I just missed G in Sabatini’s. No matter…every waiter there told me where he was going to be. So sweet!  So when I was finished eating, I caught up with him in the Explorers Lounge awaiting the start of the veterans get together. With no place else I needed to be, I sat in the back and spent some time trying to get back into my emails and blog. Something hiccuped, and my phone was being testy. Nothing I tried worked, but it suddenly fixed itself, and I had a couple hundred emails show up. Luckily, most were junk. 

I was looking forward to enrichment lecturer Eric Phillips’ talk about skiing to the North Pole (something he’s done 15 times!). He was the talk of the ship the rest of the day (even the comedian tonight mentioned him). What an adventurer!  In fact, he supported endurance runner Pat Farmer with the North and South Pole pistons of his pole to pole run. I love this kind of stuff, but with me it’s a case where those who can, do, and those who can’t instead skip a meal on a cruise ship just to hear a lecture about it. That’s as much as I’m willing to sacrifice to breathe the rarified air of a true adventurer.


The lunch menu from the app since I didn’t go




And I really did skip lunch because I wasn’t hungry, but also wanted a little time in the cabin to practice ukulele chord transitions.  That class was held at 1pm and we are moving much more quickly than we did last year.  I’m glad I have a little experience from the HawaiiI cruises or I would never catch up. I am not a natural. 

Hawaiian ambassador Kamaki

And following that I really did have a lie down in the cabin. I didn’t actually sleep, but I rested, hoping that would be enough to see me through the evening. 

Tonight was a formal night, such as that is these days. I was wearing an embroidered silk jacket that’s been in almost as many cruises as I have and a lady in the mid ship elevator lobby commented on it. Nice. And  then she pointed out that she was wearing Effy jewelry this evening and told me to check it out in the store on board. I was, frankly, shocked, annd asked if she was a paid model. She just smiled and said again, be sure to check iut the store. What the what is this about?  

The escargot at dinner were the best I’ve ever enjoyed on Princess, and I just happened to run into the executive chef at the entrance to the dining room as I was leaving and told him so. Not the snails, of course, which are always bland, but the garlic butter was so flavorful. I think it was the shallots. 




Tonight’s Princess Theater performance was production show Sweet Soul Music and we went from there directly to the Vista-less Lounge for comedian Syd  Davis. Done off his humor involved growing up Catholic in Dayton, Ohio in the 1960s. I could definitely relate. 

Reserved Premier seating on the Grand Princess



And then it was time for real sleep, that “burying myself in a fluffy comforter” type of sleep. My hour of pool time in the morning chills down my core body temp so much that my date with a warm bed is the best part of every day.