Wednesday, October 7, 2026

Day 12: At Sea

Our weather today should not have been a surprise…but it was, given the gloriously hot and sunny day we had yesterday in LA. To its credit, it was mostly sunny, which certainly helped, but it was also quite windy, quite bouncy and fairly chilly (high 60s). I should know by now that 2 to 3 of those 5 sea days between California and Hawaii are typically rough and cool, and often overcast. I guess I’d imagined that, given California’s heat wave, this crossing might have been different.

We went to Sabatini’s when it opened at 7:30am. There is a new wait team in there this cruise, so it felt a little less familiar, but, as always, was a real treat.  I next went to the Terrace Pool never imagining the water would be cool, choppy and higher than it had been yesterday. I should have aborted right there and then but didn’t. I lasted 45 minutes but was chilled through and a little seasick by the end. Tomorrow:  the covered Calypso Pool. 

Warmed up slightly by a hot shower and dressed in the clothing I actually brought for the North Island of New Zealand (yoga pants and an oversized sweatshirt), we went to lunch where I was in search of hot food and a hotter beverage. The chowder was good but I can’t recommend the seafood curry. 



I was so excited to attend the first ukulele session of the cruise at 1pm and even happier that we actually were able to sign out ukuleles. The extra practice on our own is imperative for developing the muscle memory required for chord transitions. And speaking of ukuleles, shout out to reader Karen who sent this recommendation for the perfect ukulele for me. The marriage of two of my favorite things, and I was touched that she was thinking of me and connected the dots!


The evening started with the Elite Lounge and dinner with Libres and Sulton in the Michelangelo Dining Room.   


I had both Hawaiian items and they were both good.

We went to the Princess Theater performance by magician Kyle Marlette (gotta fill these sea days somehow!). Despite sitting in the “just in case”-iest of the “just in case” seats, G lasted the whole show, but I had to bug out when Kyle started swallowing razor blades. I do NOT have the stomach for that. G pointed out afterwards that it was no different than old time wrestling on TV, just an act, a comment that brought back a decades-old memory of running crying from the room when my older brother was watching that on TV. I don’t do well seeing people in pain…even cruise ship magicians. 😆

The Grand Princess show band did a New Orleans jazz set in the Piazza and we finished the evening at the Silent Disco in the Vista-less Lounge (to complete my 60 minutes of daily exercise goal). 

No matter how good the day, I thought, as I climbed into a warm bed, the same thing I’ve thought many times in the past…the best thing in any port is this ship, the best thing on this ship is this cabin and the best thing in this cabin is this bed.

Life is good. :-)