Friday, August 17, 2012

Day 3: Ketchikan

Just a quick update...

Sometime around 2:30 this morning we sailed out of Canadian waters and into Alaska. But we cleared US immigration in Vancouver, and were a little floating island of the US as we made our way along the Georgia Strait and Queen Charlotte Sound.

We've just docked in Ketchikan. The fog still looks thick, but at some point in time between 4am and 6am the fog horn was turned off. I know this only because I was up at both these times and the first time it was on and the second time it wasn't.

Once again, I (we) slept very soundly. The horn made no difference at all. In fact, if anything, it helped. I fell asleep counting the seconds between blasts (about 60)...kind of the maritime equivalent of counting sheep. But here's the big news: I am lying in bed on a cruise ship using my free AT&T 3G Internet. Free Internet. In bed. On a cruise. It doesn't get any better than that!

G is flying in a float plane later this morning (hopefully, fog permitting). I am going to photograph/videograph his takeoff and landing. We've done a floatplane here before, in 1997, and while I love it, don't feel the need to repeat. I'd rather be a spectator.

We sail early, at 2pm with all on board by 1:30pm. It's a short day to allow us to make our way to Juneau by tomorrow morning.

The weather is supposed to be sunny and 70 degrees. Has summer chosen to come to Ketchikan for one day, today? Sure sounds like it. Lucky us!!