Monday, August 13, 2012

Baby, it's cold outside (I hope. A little.)

Packing for this cruise has been a non-issue.  Packing for 14 nights instead of 100 is so much easier, it's like a whole different sport.  And it's not just a quantity thing, either. I always say that I can do without most things for a week, and some things for a month, but when I go for longer than that, I pretty much need everything I use at home.  For 14 nights, I can do without almost everything.

We're packing jeans, which is unusual for us on a cruise.  In the Caribbean, jeans are far too hot and bulky (although they're all the locals wear...go figure).  But for Alaska, it's jeans and hiking boots for daywear.  We're still packing formalwear (G is taking his tux).  One of us loves to dress up. (Hint: it's not me).  There will be four formal nights on this cruise, and while we're planning to be much more casual in general, I'm sure we'll dress up once or twice.

The weather should be chilly and wet, and - dare I say it?- I cannot wait. I'm taking a Goretex jacket with hood, fleece pullover, fleece vest, wool headband, scarf and gloves, and my Tilley hat, not for sun but for rain protection.  We just yesterday added two rain ponchos to throw in our backpack in case we're caught unprepared while off the ship.  I've packed a few lightweight sweaters for dinner, but I've drawn the line at bringing out the true winter wear.  I cannot bring myself to wear turtlenecks in August!

We're departing from our dear Southwest Airlines to fly United to Vancouver, where we'll board the ship.  Fortunately, we were able to use miles to purchase our flights.  This, coupled with the fact that we are able to fly directly to Vancouver the day of the cruise really tipped the scale in favor of us taking this cruise at all.

Unfortunately, while we're flying for free, our luggage isn't.  But we're limiting ourselves to one checked bag each. And we'll hopefully have room in our carry ons for some extras: my Nikon Coolpix camera with a telephoto lens, binoculars, trekking poles and my brand new laptop (thank you G!).

How much sunshine are we expecting? Judging from this lipstick, not much.