Saturday, August 25, 2012

Day 11: Skagway







Did I dream up those beautiful sunrises and sunsets of last cruise or did they really happen?  It's another cold (low 50s), gray day today, not a bit like our last visit where we broke a sweat climbing up to Lower Dewey Lake. Although the Island Princess arrived at 7am, we had no schedule today and so enjoyed a leisurely breakfast in the dining room. Afterwards, we enjoyed having free 3G Internet again (while we had had cell phone service in Whittier, we have not had free Internet access since last Sunday). G paid bills and I made some headway on my email inbox. Finally, around 10am, we bundled up and walked off the ship. We're in port today with the Sea Princess (which has the good dock near the ferry terminal) and the Volendam (which has the berth we had last cruise. We are docked even further from town today). Interesting bit of news about the Volendam: just last Sunday it rescued 70 people from a boat touring Glacier Bay.

http://travel.usatoday.com/cruises/post/2012/08/holland-america-alaska-rescue-cruise-/827678/1

So, back to today...I have to give us credit for how we packed. While I began to doubt my wisdom last cruise when shorts would have been more comfortable, this cruise I've worn everything I brought in some combination. Today my Goretex jacket with hood, fleece vest, scarf, headband and gloves as well as my waterproof hiking boots were perfect. Despite the rain, I stayed cozy and dry the entire time we walked around Skagway. Eventually we paid $5 each for unlimited SMART shuttle rides, and took the bus to Gold Rush Cemetery and the end of the line before doing a combination walk-ride back to the ship.

After a late lunch in the buffet we returned to our cabin, trying to summon the energy to head back out on another walk. But the ship is warm and cozy, and the forecast for tomorrow in Juneau is much warmer and sunnier. Maybe we should just relax in preparation for an active day tomorrow....

Photo 1: a gray day in Skagway

Photo 2: the Sea Princess at the dock near the ferry terminal

Photos 3-6: our walk around town