Monday, October 7, 2019

Day 14: Moorea

After looking forward to this day for over a year, when it finally arrived I found I was rather dreading it. I realized early on that my re-injury of the day before meant that our planned excursion was off limits...double darn it. There was no way I could climb a ladder into a boat.  But when I went outside to watch our arrival into Opunohu Bay, on the north side of Moorea, it was immediately evident that today was not going to be one of those gloriously beautiful days we’ve enjoyed here in the past. 

I took the obligatory photos to post here, but oh my...if you were a blog reader during our two seasons in French Polynesia, you know it’s much prettier, breathtakingly beautiful even, on a sunny day. 


Anchored in Opunohu Bay
Mt. Rotui never made an appearance today. 








Where’s that 50 shades of blue water??


Opunohu Bay on September 26, 2015

We are lucky that Paul and Marlene are on this cruise with us.  I had phoned them the night before and asked if they wanted to take our two spots on a Moorea Miti outrigger canoe trip to commune with stingrays and black tip sharks, and then enjoy a picnic on a motu (islet), and was happy they wanted to. And, frankly, if I didn’t strongly believe we’ll be back here this time next year, I might have thrown myself overboard, but, in the end, I watched the low hanging clouds and intermittent drizzle rather dispassionately, choosing to think of it as just a bad weather day. 

Luckily, with nearly everyone off the ship, WiFi was extremely fast, by ship standards, and especially for French Polynesia which some of you know has given us real fits over the years. I spent the day much like I spent nine weeks this summer, reading and streaming videos. Not my first choice, but, trust me, not the first thing I’ve missed out in over the years because of “that” foot. 


At anchor in Opunohu Bay, Moorea with most people off the ship
Pretty darn good!

Dinner held a few cheery surprises:  caponata (I love it) and pineapple salsa on salmon. 


Day 14 dinner menu, page 1


Day 14 dinner menu, page 2


Day 14 dessert menu



Rustic Caponata


Tamarind glazed salmon


Princess Entertainer of theYear Nathan Foley provided the day’s highlight in his show in the Princess Theater. I can see why he won that honor, and hope we get to see him again before he leaves the ship. 

By the evening, the seas got a bit bouncier and I consoled myself that I would likely be using my crutches even if I hadn’t had that small mis-step yesterday. I was feeling better and the swelling was subsiding, and two more days at sea should have me (literally) on my feet by the time we arrive in Pago Pago, American Samoa on Thursday. 

Day 14 Princess Patter, page 1

Day 14 Princess Patter, page 2


Day 14 Princess Patter, page 3


Day 14 Princess Patter, page 4

Added on October 12

Paul and Marlene had already told us they had a fantastic time on the Moorea Miti outrigger canoe excursion to swim with the snorkels, snorkel and enjoy lunch on a motu. It made us so happy to know that they were able to use our reservation, and even more content when they confirmed that I couldn’t have managed climbing up the narrow ladder rungs to re-board the outrigger canoe from the water. 

Today, Paul shared his SD card with all the images he took on the tour, and I wanted to post several of them here. They did, in fact, enjoy some sun and that brilliant blue water that we couldn’t see from the ship. 


The skies obviously were clearer toward the west side of Moorea




Over the water bungalows at the Intercontinental Moorea
 

They even saw dolphins playing in the water!


One of those beautiful Moorea stingrays...


...and a black tip shark (they’re friendly!) 


The motu where lunch was held


That water...


The water crashing in the reef in the distance


Sigh. Next year. 🤞🏼


Getting set up for lunch


Paul on the left, demonstrating his coconut handling skills


Breaking open the coconut 

Making poisson cru after washing the fish in sea water
 
Lunch on the motu