Monday, December 25, 2017

Day 73 (continued): Auckland

Wow. What a wonderful Christmas Day we’ve had. I know I swore off ever again being on a large ship for Christmas but the one we’ve had on the Golden Princess was truly extra special. Have I mentioned it was my idea to be on this ship over the holidays?  I know I have, but have I mentioned it lately?

;-) 

We were slow to get moving this morning (at least one of us was) as our very late night did take a toll. The midnight Christmas service was nicely done, but there was another non-denominational service held this morning; also, the Mass celebrated from St. Peter’s Basilica was being shown live in the Vista Lounge. I was up in time to have a cup of tea and then watch part of the Vatican Mass. Really, that’s more spectacle than worship, but since we had just attended a Mass there last Fall, it was a spectacle I didn’t want to miss. 

And G slept on (interspersed with watching Sunday football highlights on the Red Zone). Still, by 11am, we were meeting up in the Horizon Court Buffet for today’s special Christmas lunch, and what a feast it was. I knew Sous Chef Denise and the entire culinary team had done a lot of planning and preparation for it, but we did our part too, by bringing big appetites. I took photos of most of it, and I’ll post them later. I stayed on my vegan plus seafood plan by having a mountain of shrimp and smoked salmon and a salad with rocket mix greens and orange segments. If I could eat cheese they would never have gotten me out of there; the cheese offerings were amazing. The best part was that it took no fewer then five hugs and twenty “Merry Christmases” to make it through the Buffet and back to our table. What a great crew!! 

Cruising through Auckland Harbour

It was a really beautiful Christmas Day!


















We had arrived in Auckland by then, later than originally scheduled but earlier than it had recently been changed to. We didn’t rush off though. We saw ferries leaving for Devenport (as we had done last time we were here), and knew the Maritime Museum was open today, but couldn’t get motivated to visit either. Instead we phoned home using Vonage (For 1 cent per minute! Get the app!!) and texted Christmas wishes to friends (nearly all of whom are dealing with cold and/or snowy weather) and generally took advantage of having local cellular internet again. 

We eventually walked off the ship and down to Albert Park, less than a mile away, where we walked along several paths (the weather was perfect, sunny and about 70), and then returned to Queens Wharf where the Golden Princess was berthed and watched some locals fishing. We really just wanted to be outside and get a little exercise after three days at sea, so that’s what we did. 

The local Maori Haka folkloric group performed again at 4:30pm (on Christmas Day!  I was surprised by that) but we had such good seats for it last time that we skipped it today. We were back on the ship and cleaned up for dinner at 5:30pm. Headwaiter Sean outdid himself today with my menu:  a seafood starter, a salad and then a beautiful grilled vegetable tower with vegan (!) puff pastry circles separating the different vegetables. (I took photos. You’ll see it eventually). It was so delicious.  Dessert was mandarin sorbet for both of us, though several different kinds of Christmas desserts were offered too. 

If there’s a candle it must be Christmas!

Christmas crackers too

Seafood starter

Vegetable tower

There was a special Christmas variety show performed twice in the Princess Theater tonight. We went to the 8pm show, and it was both funny (Entertainment Director Tim read kids’ letters to Santa) and moving. All four production show vocalists sang, but Alyssia Penn (I know I’m spelling her name incorrectly), who has trained in and sung opera sang O Holy Night, and it was everything you’d imagine it would be. I got chills. Such a talent. 

The Princess Theater stage was beautiful



We were watching from the Promenade Deck as we sailed out of Auckland Harbour and the harbor pilot was disembarked just before 9pm (sail away was 8pm). Giovanni walked past after performing in the show and wanted a photo of the three of us to send to his parents in Sicily, as he had already told them about our Christmas Eve dinner. That was very sweet. 

And that was it for me, though G is out listening to...something. I’m not exactly sure what, though he mentioned The Voice of the Ocean auditions. He got at least three hours more sleep than I did last night and still has energy, but the alarm is set for 6am tomorrow. We have an early arrival and long day in Tauranga, and, with four more ports after that, can’t afford to have late nights. 

I hope you all have a wonderful and safe Christmas Day. Stay warm!