Tuesday, December 5, 2017

Day 53: Maré, New Caledonia

It is 9pm, and I just told G, “This was the BEST day!” to which he replied that I say that all the time. I probably do, and I mean it all the time, too, but today was one of the best best days we’ve had so far. Except for one minor speed bump, but it was very short lived and, in the grand scheme of things, pretty inconsequential. 

At 6:15am, I heard that ‘key in the lock’ sound that told me G was returning to the cabin. He has been getting up really early, shortly after 5am, awakened by the sound of a cart being rolled over the Terrace Deck above us. He loves it, though. He walks all around the ship while it is still empty and gets his steps in that way.  But this morning he wanted me to come out and play, too. It was picture perfect on the Terrace Deck, warm in the early morning sun, and he already had breakfast waiting for me when I got there. I mean, sure, he didn’t have to cook it or anything, but he did have to gather apple wedges and peanut butter and sunflower seeds from the Horizon Court Buffet, and he gets points for that. 

Though we were up early, there was no need to rush today. Our arrival in Maré, New Caledonia, originally scheduled for 9am, was changed a few weeks ago, and we weren’t arriving until 11am. 11am to 7pm; that is my kind of port schedule. As soon as loungers were set out on the Terrace Deck, we were in them, enjoying the solitude and the view of the wake as we looked out over the vast South Pacific Ocean.  Shortly after 10am, we got our first view of Maré on our starboard side, and that was our cue to return to the cabin, slather on the sunscreen, pack a few beverages and head to the Crown Grill for tender tickets. As early as we were, we weren’t the first ones there. After three days at sea it seemed people were ready for the beach. 

G went down to the International Cafe to get a hot chocolate while he waited, and ran into the HGM who told him that the port agent had just reported that there were jellyfish yesterday at Yedjele Beach. He promptly relayed that information to me. 

My reaction?  Picture a big old yellow balloon, then stick a pin in it. Yep, I was that deflated that fast. A day on a beach without being able to go in the water?  What’s the point? G reminded me that all was not lost, and maybe the jellyfish wouldn’t be there today. I was hopeful, but not convinced. 

Our planning and prep paid off, and we were on the first tender to shore (very short tender ride), and then the first shuttle to Yedjele Beach, about a 20 minute drive. As soon as we were dropped off at the beach, we made tracks toward an area where we had seen a local renting loungers the last time we were here. She had four loungers in total, and we were there in time to get the last two. $10 AUD for each, and we were comfortable all day and off the sand. Nice. We moved them into the shade of a palm tree (which is not the best shade) and watched as several people went into the water and even began snorkeling. Maybe the jellyfish had moved along?


This reminded me of Douglas Pearson’s 50 shades of blue 

I told G to start drinking beer, just in case (I won’t go into more detail, but you know what I mean) and went out in the water too. I saw clown fish and butterfly fish and triggerfish and even two sea snakes (I gave them a wide berth) but I didn’t see, or feel, a single jellyfish. I was thrilled. I snorkeled for about an hour, took a brief break and then snorkeled for another hour. It was slightly tough going; the wind and current were strong and I had to really work at it, and two hours was my limit today.

Although the day was sunny and warm, the wind made me cold when I first got out of the water, and I was sitting on a lounger wrapped up in two towels when I saw the first passenger go up to one of the security guards/life guards and the guard poured something on his arm. Within a couple of minutes, swimmers began coming out of the water, all of them rubbing something. It seemed the jellyfish had returned. It was about 3pm then, and I didn’t go back in the water after that. G, however, had to go see them for himself and brought me one to see. They were tiny, less than an inch across, with a 3” tentacle and a blob of blue dye on the inside. 

Local children played on the sand and in the water all day. 

Yedjele Beach before the jellyfish arrived 

Yedjele Beach AFTER the jellyfish arrived 


Before


After ;-)

The beach started emptying fairly quickly after that, but it was getting late anyway. The last shuttle was leaving at 5:30pm and we finally left the beach about 4:45pm when we saw two groups leaving. I didn’t see anyone else on the beach at that time. Sunset was at 6pm, so the day had definitely lost its heat and the first few mosquitoes started to appear. We arrived back on the ship about 5:30pm and decided to try to have dinner in the dining room after a very quick clean up. 

Luckily, our table was available (the Bernini Dining Room was still fairly empty), and we were starved. I had forgotten what I’d ordered for tonight, and after fruit and a salad, told G I might want to swing through the Buffet after the show if I was still hungry. And then Alona set my favorite entree (garbanzo beans and mushrooms in tomato sauce with tofu) in front of me and a plate of roasted red, yellow and green peppers, which she said was a surprise from headwaiter Sean. I was deeply touched.

I had mentioned to Sean a couple of days ago that I loved roasted peppers when they were on that day’s salad, and he not only remembered that but had them made for me today because he knew we might have missed lunch. Honestly, I think this was the nicest of all the nice things that have been done for me since we boarded. There are so many wonderful things I can’t have this year- MTP champagne, minibar items, the chocolate covered strawberries we received for our milestone cruise- but I can have roasted peppers, and enjoyed them all (except for one I shared with G). And then I didn’t need to swing through the Buffet after the show. 

Garbanzo beans, mushrooms and tofu in tomato sauce 


My favorite

We skipped dessert in the interest of time, and went to the Princess Theater to get seats for production show Stardust. After the show, we stopped at the Guest Services Desk. I wanted to get one of those You Made the Difference or Consummate Host or whatever Princess is calling those “You done good” cards this year to fill out for Sean. And as I walked up I was greeted by name by Hembert, who had just come on board in Melbourne. We know Hembert well from last year on the Pacific Princess, and it was wonderful to see him here on the Golden Princess. 

If we stay long enough, we’ll have all our old Pacific Princess friends here on the Golden.

Life is good. :-)