Thursday, December 14, 2017

Day 62: At Sea

We had another perfect day, weather-wise, with mostly sunny skies and a high around 79F. And, despite its rather abrupt end for me, it was another perfect day, non-weather-wise, too. The last day of a cruise is always a happy time when we don’t have to pack, or even consolidate things in preparation to change cabins (as we’ll have to do in six nights). Regardless of how many back to back cruises we’ve done, the sight of suitcases being set out the last evening still makes me ridiculously happy. Bored?  Not even a little. 

I joined G for breakfast in the Horizon Court Buffet (oatmeal and an orange today), and when he used some champagne to make mimosas, I even allowed myself one sip. That’s a nice way to start the day!  I did go to the Fitness Center to lift weights- I only use the machines on a ship, not free weights- but that was the limit of my energy. I have been dragging for five days now, a little more each day, and I knew I had contracted my annual cruise ship sinus infection, but I was trying to soldier through. 

G skipped lunch altogether but I had a salad in the Horizon Court Buffet and took my phone off Airplane Mode to discover that we were close enough to the southeastern coast of Australia to pick up a Telstra signal. We have returned from the Dark Side!  Those two weeks cruising the “islands” (as the Aussies call New Caledonia and Vanuatu) without local cell service are tough. I immediately started texting for just a few minutes while friends were still awake at home. That I had a phone with a nearly full charge and free, unlimited local internet and still chose to simply return to the cabin to lay down told me the time has come to see the ship’s doctor for antibiotics. 

I cleaned up for dinner and went to the Medical Center on the way, where I was seen by Dr. Anya from South Africa. Going to the doctor on a ship is such an easy thing to do, and we have Princess Vacation Protection to pick up the tab for any costs not paid by our medical insurance; I don’t know why I resisted as long as I did. After my Summer of No Fun, I think I was simply enjoying my time with no interactions with the medical world. But I left with two prescriptions that will have me at 100% within a day or two. There is a lot of cruising left, and I want to enjoy it!

I joined G in the Bernini Dining Room. Maitre d’ Carlos stopped by to check on us, and told us he will not change our wait team of Alona and Lydia while we are onboard the ship. We were thrilled to hear that!  All of our waiters have been excellent, but we’ve now spent two weeks with Alona and Lydia, and, in fact, first met Alona our second day on the ship. That familiarity is really nice, and equates to incredible personal service. 

The night before the ship arrives in Melbourne, it passes several small islands in Bass Strait that are wildlife reserves. 

West Moncoeur Island

Rodondo Island

Speaking of waiters...I can’t believe I’ve forgotten to mention this. A new waiter from Thailand named Sewit (pronounced Sweet) came on board last turnaround, and we were chatting with him in the Horizon Court Buffet one morning. Sewit has been with Princess quite awhile, and I asked him if he knew Suttipong Sila (surely you remember Sutti from my first two years of blogging?!) and, you will not believe this, but Sutti is coming onboard the Golden Princess in February!! Admittedly, that news is not quite enough to have us flying back across the Pacific Ocean to Melbourne but it might be enough to have us considering taking an Alaska cruise on the ship when it is doing that itinerary this summer. Might be.

G is in the Princess Theater watching the Voice of the Ocean but I am early to bed tonight, hoping I am up for a full turnaround day in Melbourne. No, it’s not Sydney, and I won’t even be getting up early to watch our arrival, but it will be nice to get off the ship after four days at sea. We have to make a run to a Cole’s Supermarket, but I am uncertain of our plans beyond that. Like every other port we visit, we’ll just play it by ear. 

ETA:  G just returned, raving about tonight’s Voice of the Ocean. Sounds like I missed a fun show. I won’t let that happen again!