Sunday, October 25, 2015

Day 48: At Sea

It was so nice to have nothing to have to rush out of bed for this morning after our busy day yesterday...but G was still out and about shortly after 6am.  Before he left, he mentioned to me that he had received a push notification on his iPhone about a message left on our home phone and asked if I would look into it. Our home phone number is the one we leave with people in the event of an emergency (since we won't get phone messages left on our cell phones until we return to Hawaii in over a month), so we take them pretty seriously. Had something happened to Mom, had the house exploded, had Martha received something concerning in the mail?  These are the things that were going through my mind at 6:15am. 

I managed to get WiFi in the cabin, and checked my emails first. I get transcripts of all voicemail messages emailed to me, and it's generally faster to retrieve messages that way than to launch the Comcast Xfinity app (a slow process even at home) and listen to them. Sure enough, there was an emailed transcript waiting for me; the Republican party wants our vote. Oh hell...is it that time again?  There should be a law against political phone calls! Like the assumption that everyone has ubiquitous WiFi, non-urgent messages create unnecessary stress for travelers.  

I knew I wouldn't fall back asleep, but still stayed in bed reading for another hour (and managed to finish the first book since I left home), then took a quick shower and was meeting G in the Club Restaurant restaurant before 8am. We had eaten lightly yesterday, and I was hungry, but I knew that today was going to be full of food and drink, so I had just a fruit plate and scrambled egg beaters. (But I was starving during the good smells of the culinary demonstration later in the morning). 

G asked for my help in resolving an issue he was having regarding cans of root beer and the soda package. When I had paid for his soda package online (because it wasn't offered for sale on the ship :-|), it clearly stated that canned root beer was included. But G had not been able to get it on board as part of his soda sticker offerings, which was a shame because he loves root beer floats. The Passenger Services Desk needed to do a screen capture of the Cruise Personalizer where it promises the root beer; G has never used a Cruise Personalizer in his life and neither had the Passenger Services representative, requiring my involvement. Screen capture was taken, reviewed by bar management... and voilá! G will be enjoying root beer for the rest of his cruise (and, hopefully, this has resolved the issue for others coming on board).  

I attended this cruise's culinary demonstration for the first time this season, mostly because I wanted to see the combined antics of Executive Chef Gaitano and Maitre d' Oscar. Oscar showed up late wearing pajamas and bunny slippers and carrying a large stuffed animal with claims he had overslept. Only Oscar could pull that off!  They made a seafood tian and then sea scallops with ratatouille (this was when my stomach starting rumbling from the good smell of the garlic) followed by penne arrabbiata (which, you might remember, is my favorite pasta sauce (and I would double underline favorite if I could)). Then the pastry chef came up and made a tiramisu, and I know a lot of people adore that but I generally abstain simply because of the caffeine in it. 



Next up was the galley walk-through (I don't call it a tour because it really isn't), and I also hadn't done that yet this season. I was especially shocked by the cleverness and creativity displayed in the fruit and vegetable carvings that were on display for our benefit thoughout the galley...I've seen a lot of these over the years, but these were, without a doubt, the cutest ever. 










By 11:45am I was dying to get to lunch, but we waited - few minutes longer until the Club Restaurant opened at noon. It's a bit hard to walk through the galley while the Club Restaurant lunch was being prepared and then be satisfied with just pizza and salad from the buffet. I wanted lunch, and wine to go with it.  G and I both started with a appetizer-sized serving of spaghetti and meatballs and then got healthy with the chicken on top of assorted greens with honey mustard dressing. So yummy and just what I needed to stop feeling hungry. 

We had time to enjoy loungers the shady side of the Promenade Deck before the 2pm Grapevine Wine Tasting. Not a single lounger was in use when we went out there...we love this ship! It was another perfect day weather-wise- sunny sky and smooth seas- and I only hope it continues for the upcoming nine(!!!!) port days in a row. That's right; we will be having nine port days in a row before our next sea day, and we have some closely scheduled big excursions coming up in those nine days. If ever I had a wish for beautiful weather...

We attended wine tasting and then I quickly left to attend Future CruiseConsultant/ Captains Circle Host Tracy's presentation on Princess' Caribbean, Mexico and Hawaii itineraries. I was hoping it would cover the 2016-17 season but instead the focus was on the next few months. I guess I was looking for some inspiration for next winter; I'm having a hard time getting too excited about the Caribbean itineraries and have no idea what we'll do. Hawaii?  Australia and the extended South Pacific? The Med in late fall?  While we may return to the familiar Caribbean, we are seriously considering our options. 

We returned to our cabin to find a plate-full of hand-dipped chocolates, courtesy of the Passenger Services Department. I didn't mention it in last night's post, but we awoke to a toilet that wouldn't flush yesterday morning. Apparently, there was a blockage in the line affecting many/ most cabins on Deck 3, and we left on the first tender before it was fixed, but it had been taken care of when we returned to the ship for lunch. We all received these delicious chocolates for our inconvenience, and that prompted G to remark that it would be just fine with him if that happened again. After all, we've just stayed on two islands where functioning toilets are considered a luxury...we're tough!

G fit in a hot tub visit this afternoon, but I spent some time in the pool instead (covered head to toe with sun protection). We had a little extra time this afternoon; due to tonight's Captains Circle party at 7pm in the Cabaret Lounge, there was no Elite Lounge tonight. But we were dressed to the nines by 5pm anyway and went up to the Pacific Lounge to listen to duo Rockin' Paradise and watch a gorgeous sunset right in the front of the ship.  We went to dinner at 5:45pm and had to eat fairly quickly (I just had soup and an appetizer after my feast at lunch), as we (and table mates from the next table) were entering the Cabaret Lounge for the Captains Circle party at 6:50pm. We were once again honored as the #1 most traveled passengers and it will be fun to share our glass commemorative award and bottle of Veuve Cliquot with new friends. 

Production show Motor City was to have taken place afterward, but an issue with the sound board forced a change in the schedule. Instead, comedian Scott Wyler performed his second show of the cruise on very short notice. I sure hope we'll get to see Motor City before the end of the cruise; it will be the last time this cast performs our favorite show. :-(

At 9:30pm I am tucked into bed, though G is still out listening to live music. Captain Ciruzzi told us tonight at we'd be entering Rangiroa's large lagoon (one of the largest in the world) through Tiputa Pass very early tomorrow. Sunrise is at 5:18am; the alarm is set for 4:45am.  Nine days of early wake ups. Help me. ;-)