Thursday, January 1, 2015

Day 74: Papeete

I don't know how many hours I slept from Tuesday to Wednesday morning, but let's just say it was a lot. I am still headache-y; my head feels like it will explode every time I swallow. I was thinking that maybe it was all just due to the heat-AC cycle, but it's possible it's a sinus infection (due to the heat-AC cycle?).  Let's just say I'm not high energy, nor am I a bundle of fun. There is sightseeing we want to do, but I just don't last more than a couple of hours in the heat.

We did leave after breakfast today to walk through Le Marché. On the way there, I was amazed at the number of tables set up all along Pomare Blvd. with ladies making leis and floral crowns.  There are always a couple of these in that area, but today the street was lined with them and the entire area smelled like flowers.  I suspect they were for New Year's Eve celebrations tonight...this city is going to be one big party, and we are most looking forward to that (we're hoping for fireworks over the harbor!). 



There were even more lei/crown tables outside Le Marché, and, while car traffic seemed a little lighter today, foot traffic had picked up. Le Marché was packed, but we followed a line of people to a BBQ stand and brought some back to the room for later in the day. When we returned to the hotel. I went on wifi for a minute to check the temperature; the real feel was 106F!!  No wonder I'm suffering. 


Following our normal routine, we stayed in during this hottest part of the day. I am eating Sudafeds like candy but am having to ration ibuprofen. We have barely enough to get us to Hawaii, so every ache and pain is measured for Vitamin-I worthiness. I actually napped some more this afternoon, but, finally, about 3pm we knew we needed to walk down to Champion Supermarchė to pick up some things for the next day or so.  Luckily, it had clouded over a bit by then and the wind had picked up.  Like grocery stores everywhere on December 31, Champion was packed. G has finally had enough of Le Pain (baguettes) regardless of their low price. Instead we opted to buy sliced bread in bags (imagine!)...for $7 a loaf. We splurged on coconut sorbet; the freezer compartment of our little refrigerator has kept ice cubes frozen for two days, so we felt safe. More Coke, more water...we returned to the Hotel Tiare Tahiti heavily laden but perhaps even good through the weekend. 

Our plan is to walk over to the waterfront about 10pm, just to see what's going on. I suspect the entire roulottes area with be a big party, and that should be fun. I'm not certain we'll stay out until midnight, though. We have a front row seat right on our balcony for the midnight festivities. 

Happy New Year everyone!  I hope to have more to report in the next few days, but need to feel a good bit better before we're willing to travel too far from the hotel.