Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Day 94: At Sea

From the Navigator (this appears on page 1 of today's Princess Patter):  After yesterday's departure the Pacific Princess will continue to follow her North-Easterly course through the Pacific Ocean for Los Angeles...

<<No change so far, because we will likely follow the same straight-line course all the way back to LA, but then some interesting information was added about RADAR, what it means and what it's used for, but it was lengthy and I am lazy and won't be typing it all here.>>

Sunrise:  7:07am
Sunset: 5:38pm

You can tell we are heading east, and we will set our clocks ahead an hour overnight again tonight. Internet is as bad as it has ever been for us; in fact, I'm not even certain we actually have it right now. I'll try to get online to publish this post, but will catch up later if I'm not successful. 
---------------------------
We are getting slower by the day. Though I was awake early, I stayed in bed reading until G started to stir (he slept in after his 'boys night out'), and it was after 10am before we finally left the cabin. I am into that messy "productive" cough part of my cold, when I don't want to be out and about too much, spreading germies to my fellow passengers (which is, no doubt, how I caught this in the first place). I did join G on the terrace behind the Panorama Buffet for a coffee, then sat on the Promenade Deck reading until the Club Restaurant opened at noon for lunch. I am wiser now, and have a plastic wine glass that can safely be carried around this moving ship, and, after enjoying Greek chicken soup (G wanted to know how they got Greek chickens all the way down to Tahiti), which was just scrumptious and spicy enough for me to taste it, I returned to the sunny side of the Promenade Deck, to sip wine, read and listen to classical music on my iPhone. 

G, sweetheart that he is, brought me two pool towels to cover up with. This morning, I had had to pull the suitcase with warm clothes out from under the bed and had been wearing my one fleece pullover all day. G also brought the pool thermometer with him; the temperature that has us so chilled is 72.5F (please return your eyeballs to their upright and locked positions). I did get reports of eye-rolling from readers dealing with much colder temps than the low 70s this morning, but I must 'calls them as I sees them'. After real-feel temps well above 100F, low 70s would feel chilly to anyone. 

Our wind continued at 19mph from the southeast all day, but the day remained sunny until mid-afternoon. The day had quite the late spring/ early fall feel to it. However, clouds started to move in, and by 3pm I was back in our cabin, packing some souvenirs that have been taking up space on the loveseat since Hawaii into the still-open suitcase and tucking that against a wall. It's another step towards packing up three months of living in preparation for our move to the Grand Princess on Saturday. 

I spent the rest of the afternoon napping and watching the same Princess Cruises-produced  European history documentary that we saw on MUTS last year on (not so) Super Bowl Sunday. I do enjoy that, history geek that I am. 

We skipped the Elite Lounge, went to dinner at our table for 2 at 5:30pm and then I returned to the cabin. G is staying out for some entertainment tonight, but no musician wants to be accompanied by my coughs.